Maria...

*Shadow's POV*

(Dream)

"This way Maria!" I called as I pulled my human friend through the hallways of the Space Colony ARK.

"Shadow!" She screamed as G.U.N. soldiers started to shoot at us.

I kept running, holding Maria's hand tightly. "We're almost there!"

We made it to the right room, and I checked to see that the soldiers were getting closer. I quickly locked the door and went to the controls. "Maria, get into that tube over there, and I'll get in set up for the both of us. Hurry!"

Yet... Maria just stood there. "Maria, what are you-"

"I'm sorry, Shadow..." Maria said as she pushed me into the tube and shut it.

"Maria!?"

"There's not enough room in there for the both of us, and we're running out of time." Maria said as she set coordinates. "I'm sending you to Earth, where you'll be happy."

"But... What about you Maria...?" I asked as banging on the door was heard.

"I'll be okay, Shadow, I promise." Maria smiled at me. "Don't worry, you'll be safe... I know that you'll be happier than you ever were here."

"But... Maria-" I was cut off by the door opening and a 'halt!'

"Sayonara Shadow the Hedgehog..." Maria said. "Please, give them all a chance to be happy... I believe in you..."

Then she pulled the lever and a gunshot was heard as I saw my only friend fall to the ground, never to wake up again.

"Maria!!!!" I shouted as I was sent out of the space colony ARK and into the new world that Maria said I'd be happy in. As soon as I collided with the ground, I went into unconsciousness.

(Waking Up)

"AHHHHHHH!" I shouted as I shot out of bed, sweating. I breathed heavily as I looked around my room.

"Maria..." I muttered and sighed. It's normal for me to have these dreams, but today, it's even worse.

50 years ago today, Maria died in the ARK...

That dream... there was something different about it... That conversation between Maria and I... I never remembered that until now...

Maria wanted me to be happy here? She thought I'd be happier here?

She knew she was going to die... then...

She thought I'd be happier without her...

'Why would she think that...?'

A knock at the door interrupted my thoughts. I sighed and got out of my bed, answering the door with a frown. There stood a very worried looking Sonic. "What do you want?"

"I heard you screaming! Is everything okay!?" Sonic asked.

"Why should you care?" I snapped as I closed the door, but he stopped me before I could.

"Because I do care about what's wrong with my friends."

"Since when was I your friend?"

"You've always been my friend, Shads."

I couldn't say anything. How could I? There was just something different with how he spoke to me. He seemed so... caring... how can he care so much about me? I mean, we're rivals, aren't we? Yet he said we're friends... Does that mean that... he may possibly... like me? M-Maybe this crush just might... mean something...

"Uh... Shads? Are you ok?" Sonic asked me with a hand waving in front of my face.

"Yeah... I'm fine..." I replied awkwardly.

"Great!" Sonic smiled. "Now, will you tell me why you were screaming?"

I sighed. Maybe I should tell him... "Okay... come inside..."

He smiled and followed me inside. We both sat beside each other on my leather couch. He turned to me.

"So, what's wrong?"

"Today 50 years ago... my best friend, Maria, died..." I looked away sadly, tears coming to my eyes.

I soon felt arms around me, pulling me close. "What are you..."

"Please don't cry, Shadow. I promise that she is looking at you right now and smiling. Smiling because of who you have become. I'm sure that she wants you to move on; be happy..."

A blush was clear on my face, but I didn't complain about the close hug. It made me feel a lot better... happy, maybe even... but that still didn't stop the tears coming from my eyes. I tried to hold them back, but I couldn't.

Sonic frowned, and I soon felt his hand gently petting my quills. "Shh... It's okay..."

I calmed down a bit after he kept petting me and saying that over and over. I even let a small, deep purr escape.

Sonic smiled. "Better?" I nodded my response. "Hey, maybe we could go and get your mind off of this for a while..."

"By doing what?" I looked up at him.

"Saving Silver."

"But Knuckles said-"

"I know what Knuckles said. Just, it doesn't add up... why would Silver just give up on their relationship like that?"

"People cheat; it happens, Sonic."

"Why would Silver, of all people, do that? Especially with Mephiles?"

"I don't know. It's still possible."

"Oh, come on, Shadow! Can we just see... just to make sure? Besides... when do you follow what Knuckles says."

"... Fine. We'll go see."

"Yay!"

I couldn't help but roll my eyes at the blue hedgehog who was still holding me. Then, I realized he was still holding me and stood up. He seemed to pout as soon as I got up, but he quickly covered it with his usual cocky grin.

"Let's just get this over with..." I mumbled, walking out of my house.