A Minor Inconvinience

*Shadow's POV*

Silence has always been welcomed to me, but now it just feels like a disaster waiting to happen. I could hear everything: my breathing, my heartbeat, the various sounds in the forest. Normally, I would love the calm, peaceful surroundings, but now the canopy is closing me in. I kept glancing at Sonic, but he never made a noise, strange for the talkative blue blur. His face was full of regret. I saw him glance towards me, and I quickly looked down. I didn't know what to do anymore. Everything is going through my mind, but I couldn't even make any sense of it.

We kept walking in complete silence. I couldn't tell how long. Time just seemed to have faded away. I wanted to speak, for once in my life, but I couldn't find the words. Sonic's silence was making me nervous. I wanted him back to the normal, annoying faker he was, as surprising as it is. It felt more natural to have him talking, so my thoughts don't overcome me. I hated his voice, or I thought I did. Really, I love hearing his voice, and his laughter was always my favorite noise.

I sighed, and the small noise seemed to make his ear twitch. He looked over to me, eyes staring deep into my soul. I dared to return the look, my ruby eyes locking with his emerald. A soft smile appeared on his face, and I tried not to return it. "I'm sorry for dragging you into this... I know this day isn't the best time..."

"It's fine..." I replied." I needed something to get my mind off of it anyway..."

Sonic simply nodded as my thoughts drifted to Maria... She was too young to go...

"Shadow, I can see the sadness in your eyes... Please don't think of her death... Think of all the amazing times your had with her..." Sonic said, attempting to cheer me up.

I stared at him for a second, then looked down. "I can't remember much of those times..."

"I thought you got all of your memories back..." he looked at me as I shook my head sadly.

"I only remember a few things... I don't remember much of my time on the ARK, and I don't remember half of that adventure we had..."

Sonic frowned. "So there really isn't much you can remember about Maria besides what happened..."

"I can remember some things... like my first Christmas or when I discovered my ability to control chaos, but nothing too important..."

Sonic smiled at me before saying, "Then hold on to those moments tightly as if they would leave again."

Sonic always seemed to know what to say at any time, and I discovered that I liked that about him. I looked over at Sonic's bright smile that caused my heart to swell. I could feel my face heat up as I looked back down, nodding. Then I sighed. "Sonic, I have something to tell you..."

"What is it, Shads?"

I took a deep breath, finding the right words to say. "I-"

"Sonic!" Suddenly, a pink blur latched herself to Sonic, her grip squeezing the life out of him.

"Amy... can't... breathe!" Sonic rasped out.

"Sorry, Sonic!" the cheerful pink girl said as she let go of 'her hero.' "I have been looking for you everywhere!"

I stayed silent. I was about to talk about my feelings for him, but I guess that was a sign... Maybe I shouldn't...

"Amy, I've been kind of busy lately..." Sonic trailed off as he glanced at me.

"Well, that can wait! I've been planing a trip to Twinkle Park with you!" The selfish brat said.

"Well, to bad. He's too busy for your so called 'date.'" I growled out.

"Shadow!?" Amy looked at me as if she just realized my existence. "What are you doing here?"

"We're on a really important mission, Amy. I can't go with you." Sonic said, walking towards me.

I glared at the girl that I formerly called my friend. She may have helped me realize my mistake, but after that it seemed as if I was just some guy who appears now and then. To think that I always treasured that conversation with her. I actually thought she reminded me a lot of Maria, but then I saw that she was just trying to help her hero, and those words meant nothing to her. She's just a pink brat who's too obsessed with one person.

"Aw, but I'm sure Shadow can take care of himself! Sonic can leave with me, can't he Shadow?" Amy looked at me with pleading eyes, and Sonic looked at me with the most scared look I've ever seen... on him, at least...

I shook my head and growled out. "This mission is important, and Sonic is needed, so leave."

Amy pouted then looked at Sonic. "Sonic! You don't like Shadow anyway!"

That hit me hard, but I didn't show it. Sonic crossed his arms and looked at pinkie. "He's my friend, Amy. I wouldn't leave him alone in a situation like this. I don't hate him, and I honestly never would."

I looked at Sonic in disbelief as my face heated up, causing me to look away. Amy shared my disbelief, but that soon turned into anger. "You're suppose to choose your girlfriend over anyone else!" Her hammer appeared out of thin air, and she started swinging it around.

Lots of the trees around us were knocked down. Amy was a destructive force, but she made sure to hit anything but Sonic. I, however, wasn't so lucky.

As soon as the hammer connected with my chest, I was sent flying back, the wind getting knocked out of me. I could almost feel a couple of my ribs cracking at the force, and a couple more as my side hit a tree.

"Shadow!" I could hear him calling for me. My vision was slightly blurred, but I knew that I was fine. It'll heal.

"Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry!" Amy's annoying voice rung in my ears.

"We have to get him to a hospital!" Sonic said hurriedly. I could feel arms wrap around my legs and back as I was lifted up.

"No." I stated, a bit weak. "No hospital..."

"Don't be silly, Shadow. You're hurt." Sonic said worriedly.

"It will heal... Nothing they can do about it..." I said. "Put me down..."

Sonic sighed, but obeyed. I felt my feet touch the ground, and I easily found balance. "We need to get back to the mission... Make your girlfriend leave."

"She's not my girlfriend..." Sonic pouted then turned to Amy. "Amy, you have to go now."

"But Sonic-!"

"No, Amy."

Finally, the brat left. Sonic turned to me, worry filled his eyes. "Are you sure you're okay?"

I simply nodded and started walking while feeling my ribs. Four were broken and five were bruised. Nothing too serious; It should heal by tomorrow.

The silence started again as we walked deeper into the forest, my quills rising up in defense.

We are only a couple feet away from Mephiles' home...

__________________________________________________________________________

And just a couple more chapters until this story finally ends...

~Lava