☆*: .。. o(≧ 3 ≦)o .。.:*☆

"All right," Suzy said, bracing herself. "What's he offering you? Huge bonuses?"

"No," Joohyuk said quickly.

"Cash? I want to know exactly how much."

"He didn't offer me money."

Suzy frowned. "What then?"

"I think we should meet and talk about it."

If her grandfather had openly approached Joohyuk with the arranged-marriage idea, Suzy knew damn well that Halabeoji would've made it worth Joohyuk's while. Despite his claims to the contrary, it wouldn't have surprised Suzy to discover that the newly appointed chairman of the board of Bae-Nam Business Supply had taken the bait.

"You want us to meet?" she repeated in a faltering voice.

"There's a restaurant on University Avenue—Tuk Tuk Thai. Have you heard of it?"

"No, but I'll find it."

"Meet me there at seven." Joohyuk paused, then added, "And listen, it might not be a good idea to tell your grandfather that we're getting together. He might misunderstand."

"I won't say anything," she promised.

Joohyuk hesitated once more. "We have a lot to discuss."

Suzy's heartbeat accelerated, and she felt the perspiration break out on her forehead. "Joohyuk," she began, "you haven't change your mind, have you? I mean, you're not actually considering this ridiculous idea of his? You can't... We agreed, remember?" She swiped at her forehead with the back of her free hand as she waited for him to answer.

"There's nothing to worry about," he finally said.

Hanging up, Suzy had the sudden horrible sensation of being completely at her grandfather's mercy. He was an unshakably stubborn man who almost always got what he wanted. Faced with a mountain, Woohyun Bae either climbed it, tunneled through it or forged a path around it; failing such active alternatives, he settled down in the foothills and waited for the mountain to dissolve. He claimed he won a majority of his battles by simply displaying patience. Suzy called it not knowing when to pack up and go home.

She knew her grandfather's methods, but then so did Joohyuk. She hoped Woohyun's candidate for her husband would at least be able to withstand a few bribes, however tempting. Apparently he did, because he'd told her she had nothing to worry about. On the other hand, he sounded downright eager to discuss the subject with her.

"He says he never wants to get married," she muttered aloud in an effort to reassure herself. Indeed, Joohyuk Nam was the last man who'd be humming "The Wedding March"—especially when someone else was directing the band.

Suzy was waiting in the library, coat draped over her arm, when her grandfather got home at six-thirty. He kissed her gently on the cheek and reached for the evening paper, scanning the headlines as he settled into his big leather chair.

"Joohyuk called," she said without thinking. She hadn't intended to mention that to Halabeoji.

Woohyun nodded. "I thought he might. You meeting him for dinner?"

"Dinner? Joohyuk and me?" she squeaked. "No, of course not! Why would you even think I'd agree to a dinner date with... him?" Fuck, she'd nearly forgotten her promise to keep their meeting a secret. She detested lying to her grandfather, but there was no help for it.

"But you're dining out?"

"Yes." She couldn't very well deny that, dressed as she was and carrying her coat.

"Then you're seeing Edwin Goldberg again?"

"No. Not exactly," Suzy said uncomfortably, "I'm meeting a... friend."