Four.

Tressa.

If, given the opportunity to commit suicide in the break room or finish my shift here, right now was my only two options, I would choose the former. Unfortunately, I'm not allowed to do the first choice because it's too messy, would potentially shut the pub down due to heart-wrenching circumstances and all in all we would end up losing a lot of money for being closed for the day.

That being said, I present myself with these thoughts everyday while plastering a fake smile on my face, bending to every customers whims, even when they are wrong because let's be honest, no Sarah from Kent, you did not order five burgers, you ordered four so yes, you do in fact have to pay for the fifth one and yes it will be served later than the rest because you never told me you wanted five. And no, for the tenth time, I do not give a single fuck that you're from Kent, so stop telling me.

I'm hovering between the bar and the kitchen doors, listening intently on my earpiece we're forced to wear - that's way too small for my head and gives me a headache every time I wear it – to see if there's any food ready to bring out. I'm working with Amy and Ana, my favourites, and I finish in just under an hour.

Part of me is hoping Wayne tells me it's not too busy and that I can leave early. Part of me knows that won't happen because Wayne gets off his break when I'm due to finish anyway.

Steren, Jim, Mimi and the others are sat in the booth near the toilets, the only place with plug sockets, waiting for me to get off work. The perks of having a friend who can land you a 20% discount in your favourite local pub – Wetherspoons. That's me.

"Can you believe the nerve of him?" Ana walks up to me, arms folded, apron screwed up underneath them. She rests her elbow on the bar and leans, shooting a dirty look at a guy in the corner who's laughing obnoxiously at a joke he probably made himself.

"Oooo, what have I missed? Want me to beat him up? Accidently knock a whole plate of hot food on him? Trust me, I know how to make it look inconspicuous." I offer up, leaning next to her, watching him now too. Usually, having to two people stare at you would make you feel a bit self-conscious. Lamentably, he hasn't noticed yet. Ana snorts at my joke and shakes her head.

"Nah, he's just a rude wanker. Came up to me and offered to buy me a drink and I told him I was on shift and that it was fine. He wouldn't take no for an answer, so I just said a J2O, you know cause why not. Nope. Still refused, said it needed to be an alcoholic beverage, so I said I'd take a cider after work, whatever. He pays and the goes 'oh since I bought you a drink, I feel like it's only fair you give me your number' like on what planet do you think you're in my league big boy?" I laugh as she points at him as she says it loudly, and scoffs as if she's reliving it again.

"Anyway, I said, 'I don't think so but nice try,' and he got so rude to me calling me a tease in my skirt as if this isn't uniform and I'd rather not wear it like as if."

I cross my arms, mimicking her stance and scowl at him, hoping he can feel the daggers I'm aiming at his back. "I'm definitely going to spill food on him, maybe a pint, it's cold and wet and he'll look like he p*ssed himself."

"No need. I've been spitting in his drinks since he said this all-half hour ago." she smiles and looks down at her feet, like she's ashamed but she's absolutely not. I giggle as I see him take a swig from his glass. "You dirty dog."

Looking smug, she leans back up on her feet, rounding so she's standing on the inside of the bar, "Don't treat me like an object you own when I'm a fucking structure you can't afford," she mutters, picking up a glass and cleaning it absent-mindedly.

My earpiece goes off and Jono is telling me there's three plates to be served to table 7. I head for the kitchen doors just as they're opening, and I skirt around Masie who's got cleaning utensils in her hands with a sour look on her face. "Stay clear from the bay windows, somebody just decided to throw their lunch back up after necking 6 pints in 10 minutes," she tells me as she passes, rolling her eyes.