Epilogue

"This was our dream, buddy," Mike said. 

I nodded and gave them a sad smile. 

Kylie quickly hugged me. She whispered, "I totally understand. I know what you're going through right now." She stopped hugging and stared at me while holding my shoulders. "I guess some dreams aren't really good when we look below the surface. Just call us if you need to talk, okay? We're just here." 

Mike stared at the ground. He still didn't want me to go. "Where's the trio going to be?" 

"Come on." I walked toward him, strolling the luggage with me. "The trio's still here. I will just move. Nothing will change." 

He slightly nodded. "Alright." 

Mom gestured behind me. We were about to go. 

"We will miss you," Kylie said. 

"Buddy, that's too far from here. You can still back out. How can we be able to watch Night at Jackville together?" Mike took a deep sigh. 

I raised my phone. "Technology." I smiled. "Don't worry, I'll visit you guys on Christmas break. You won't miss me so much." 

"I'll call you every single hour, then," Mike smirked. 

"What?" Kylie raised her brow. "What are you? A boyfriend?" 

Mike and I laughed at Kylie's reaction. That was one of the things I was going to miss. "Well, see you on Christmas break then!" I said. 

"See you next Night at Jackville episode!" Kylie shouted. 

"See you later!" Mike shouted, he still couldn't get over it. 

I nodded and turned my back on them. I put my luggage at the back of the car and waved them goodbye. I was sure Kylie was breaking down in tears before mom turned the engine on. Mike was about to cry as well, but I knew he was stopping himself. They were not a better cry hider than me. 

Mom drove away from the school until Mike and Kylie were out of my sight. I didn't dare look at the side view mirror to glance at them for the last time since I knew that my eyes were going to ball out. I sat next to mom. She constantly looked at me. 

I let my tears fall as I watched the huge trees on the roadside. My phone buzzed. The calendar notified me about my schedule with the therapist. I would have to attend two sessions per week. 

I already told Mike, Kylie, and mom everything, about being involved with Greg, the director, and even the night dad died. I didn't leave a single piece of information. They understood me and they never mentioned anything about it after. 

The director was already brought up on different charges. Greg was hospitalized, so the police couldn't cart him off to question. No student had ever bothered to talk about the school's scandal, it wasn't even on the news like it was pure confidential. Perhaps, avoiding coming in for a lot of criticism. But some parents of Colbie's students decided to transfer some of them to a different school. They also got trauma like me. 

"Mom," I whispered. She looked at me as though asking me why. "I want to go out for a while." 

I got off the car and felt the heat of the morning sun. I realized that we were in a high place. There was a cliff beside the road, and when I stepped closer, I could brightly see the whole city. The sun was beating down. I smiled as I stared at the horizon. The sea was glinting from different areas. 

I suddenly missed watching the sunrise with Mike and Kylie. I knew I was going to miss them more as I started a new venture. Our affinity had always been the best. 

I took a deep breath and just imagined that they were beside me, laughing and talking. "It was my fault. Dad couldn't have died if I told on the police earlier," I whispered. 

Mom walked up next to me and put her arms around my shoulders. "It's never your fault. You're a victim, okay? Everything's going to be okay." She cried.

 Of all people, mom was the most affected by dad's demise. Imagine waiting and searching for so long for the one destined for her only to find out he was dead. I regretted shouting at her. I was not in the right mind. 

"Mom, do you miss dad?" I felt tears welling up. 

She nodded. "I miss him. I love him. That will never change." 

"He loves you, too. I should've never asked for a complete family. I realized that we're complete already. No matter how far we are from each other, no matter how far dad is, we are always complete," I said. 

She hugged me as long as she could. 

"It's time," a huge guy behind us said. 

They'd been following us from school. 

I bid mom goodbye and got in the black car. It was a hell of a ride before we got to the detention center. They oriented me on what to do and what I must expect during a year of stay here. I would have a personal therapist, fortunately. 

A guy my age was waiting for me in my new room. He was going to be my roommate from now on. As I had heard, he was already half a year here. 

"Dude, congrats, I'm your roommate," he welcomed. 

I didn't know if he was being sarcastic or whatever. I couldn't see his expression in this dark room. I would assume I was safe here. 

"Thanks," I replied. 

I sat down on the bed next to his bed. His was beside the window. The moon was beautiful out. 

"They lock the door every night. I don't know why they think we'd sneak out at night when we're tired of disciplinary measures." He turned to the window then back at me. "I heard you're a top student. I once was too. What's with the top students nowadays?" 

"What did you do?" I asked. 

"It's absolutely nasty. I encountered a series of crimes and didn't do anything about it." 

"A conspirator." 

"Yep. I was traumatized. Every night, I would see those crimes in my nightmares. That's why I try not to sleep." 

"What? So what do you do?" 

He smirked. "I go at the rooftop. Stargazing? I can't sleep while looking at the stars." 

My brows furrowed. "But they're locking the doors, right?" 

He laughed quietly. "I have a technique." 

My eyes grew wider. 

I slowly moved closer to him and whispered, "Can you show me your technique?"

THE END 

THE TECHNIQUE