Acceptance

It was never supposed to happen. After leaving the school, Kyle decided that he would never allow another close bond to form. Too many disappointments had befallen him. Maybe he was being dramatic, but he told himself he preferred solitude over getting hurt again. But every effort he'd made to create a barrier had been met with failure in the face of Steve. The super soldier had chiseled away at his defenses, leaving him frighteningly open to connection with his earnest and sincere presence. What had once been something he ran from transformed into a type of addiction. The more he opened up to Steve, the more he wanted to. It became a necessity to share with him and he could see and feel the joy it brought both of them each time he shared something.

But there were things that Kyle never shared, regardless of how easy Steve was to open up to. He never shared the true nature of the school and he never shared his mutant abilities. Steve, like the vast majority of rest of the world, had no clue what mutants were.

Xavier and Lensherr had explained the necessity of secrecy many times over. Although Kyle had come to resent this because of how it kept mutants from actively using their gifts to protect mankind, he chose to continue the secret if only to protect those who remained at the school. Prior to the blip, the school was filled with young mutants who were scared and uncertain. Most of them came from situations not dissimilar to Kyle's. Others, like Jean, came from loving families that simply wanted their mutant children to get the help they needed to control their powers to the extent that they could enter society without the fear of hurting anyone. Regardless of their origins, they all needed the stability and security that the school could provide them with.

Kyle could still recall the one occasion where the school's secret was compromised. It was the day when Nick Fury of S.H.I.E.L.D. had paid the school a visit. Alongside Jean, Kyle had listened intently from the hall as Fury discussed something called the Avengers Initiative with Xavier and Lensherr.

"We're looking for people with unique abilities who can help us keep the world safe," Fury had explained.

Jean and Kyle had shared a look of excitement. Superheroes. The mere notion of this was enough to set both kid their hearts racing.

"If you'll pardon me for cutting you off," Xavier had said. "This is a school intended to help young mutants learn to control their gifts, not a training ground for superheroes."

"I realize that your students are all children. But the two of you aren't. Are you telling me you wouldn't be willing to use your powers to help mankind?"

"We are using our powers to help mankind," Lensherr pointed out. "In our own way, we're helping by teaching these children. They need stability. They need us."

"This is our place in the world, Nick," Xavier added. "And we aren't budging on it. I would greatly appreciate it if you were to keep this school under the radar."

"And if I do that? What then?"

"Then, Nick, you would be doing your part in protecting these children."

"So you're saying no, then."

"We're saying no for now," Lensherr stated. "Allow us to teach our students in peace and, perhaps, we may lend a hand one day."

Recognizing that this was as good as things were going to get, Fury had left the school with a promise- that he would keep the school out of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s database and their secret would remain hidden. He would protect them from exposure.

Kyle had been confused by Xavier and Lensherr's stance in the matter, a feeling that would follow him going forward. Especially after the blip claimed half of all life in the universe. They could have been Avengers. They could have done something.