Chapter 1: Daily Days

“ACE! WAKE UP! Makuto is here! He wants to see ya!” a very annoyed voice rang into Ace’s eardrums. It sounded so tired and annoyed from Ace’s perspective.

Ace Spitfire flew out of his hammock, and he glared at Marco Ruin. “Marco, its 5 A.M in the morning! LET ME SLEEP IN PEACE!” Ace’s freckled face was scrunched in anger as well as annoyance.

“I would, but Makuto was to speak with ya about something important. I think he said something about ‘Lu’ or something like that.” Marco replied, sighing. Marco has yellow sandy hair that was lying down to his shoulders. He wore a white T-shirt and some summer shorts. He was a kind fellow, but he usually got annoyed real quick!

Ace thought about the word ‘Lu’ before jumping up in realization. “Are you sure he said ‘Lu’?!” he asked Marco. He was thinking back to a time where he knew someone named ‘Lu’. Maybe this fellow was the same person? Just maybe it was.

Marco blinked, nodding his head while searching for his lighter.

“I’ll be there.” Ace grunted, getting up. He closed his eyes before opening them again.

Marco looked at Ace. “Something the matter?”

**************************************

At the deck

 Ace looked at the large volcano Bozi in amazement. Makuto said something that he needed to be done. “Woah! That’s a large volcano Bozi! I wonder who owns it!” He exclaimed, staring at its horns and extra set of arms.

“Well, lad. It seems that you own him or that’s what Lutold me.” A deep, humble voice spoke, startling Ace. A lot of people have been sneaking up on Ace it seems and scaring the heck out of him!

Ace looked up to see Mr. Makuto. Mr. Makuto was an elderly man that owned the dock. He owned numerous rouge Zeriks members as well. Ace didn’t understand why he would want to own a band of thieving Zeriks anyway.

Zeriks are pirates. Yes, I said pirates. They still thrive in my realm. Actually, mainly the heroes are pirates. And the Pitas are trying to catch the Zeriks, but they usually fail. Pitas are your terms for Marines.

Mr. Makuto was 77, and he had a long whitebeard. He was a large man with the spirit of a small child. He had a bandana on his head that was the color of black and gold. He had on a large white jacket with some overalls.

“My?” Ace asked. He forgot to put on a shirt this morning as his strong muscular chest showed. He had 6-pack abs, and he really didn’t care as to who saw them. He had black messy neck length hair. His eyes were the same color as his hair, obsidian.

But he did manage to put pants on his body before leaving. There was this one time when he forgot to put on pants. Thank the Lord, he had boxers! His pants were brown knee length with some odd accessories.

“Yes.” Makuto replied, giving some papers to Ace. They were adoption papers for the Bozi signed by Ace himself more than 10 years ago.

“What’s his name?” Ace asked. He did see the papers, but he saw no sight of a name for the dog.

“I don’t know Spitfire! I didn’t buy em!” Makuto laughed.

The Bozi barked at Ace before pointing to its neck where a collar was embedded in shiny ivory gold and silver.

“A collar? It’s made of Azural shells from the Zorina Sea! They’re rare to find! How did you manage to get those bro?” Marco exclaimed, finally talking.’

Ace touched the collar, shifting the label. It said in large gold letters the name ‘Mera’ on it. ‘Mera?’ Ace thought. “Mera is your name?”

The dog barked happily before sending out small sparks of flame in the air.

“Doesn’t ‘Mera’ mean flame in the otherworlder’s language?” Marco wondered aloud.

“I believe it does. It makes sense since Volcano Bozi’s are fire types. When did you get so smart on the otherworlder’s language?” Makuto replied.

“I studied a lot in school while Ace was sleeping most of it off.” Marco replied, glinting in amusement.

“Hey! I have a bad illness, so it’s not my entire fault I fall asleep every time the teacher pulls out a large text book!” Ace spit back as she saw the Bozi cock his head in confusion.

“Yeah….” Marco replied, stifling a laugh.

“Hold on. You said someone named ‘Lu’ sent it to you. Did they by any chance mention their full name?” Ace asked Makuto.

Makuto pondered for a minute or two, thinking back to the message. He looked at Ace, shaking his head ‘no’.

Ace sighed in sadness. He wanted to know if it was the same ‘Lu’ he somehow knew, but forgot at the same time.

Mera whimpered as he sensed something around them.

Marco noted Mera’s stance. “Yo, Ace, I think Mera is sensing something.” He said, snapping Ace out of deep thought.

“What?”

Mera growled before looking upwards to see a silhouette of a large creature. He barked. His tail powered up in flames as did his feet.

“Woah, he’s in attack mode!” Marco stated, stepping back to avoid the flames.

“What’s attack mode?” Ace asked.

“It’s their systems of defense.” Marco replied.

“Yeah, they have 3 modes in every Maput’s life. Just a minute ago he was in ‘Normal Mode’ and now he’s in ‘Attack Mode’. The last mode is ‘Defense Mode’.” Makuto replied. “This is the first time I’ve ever seen something like this in my entire life!” Makuto laughed.

Ace glanced at the dock to see the residences stop what they’re doing and stand in fear. Some of them yelled while others merely braced their selves. He heard them yelling as the shadow grew closer. Then he glanced back up at the shadow to see it right infront of him.

Marco yelled to Ace to move, but Marco’s yells were muffled in Ace’s head.

Mera snarled at the beast before lunging at it, protecting Ace. Mera got within the attack point. He slashed the creature’s neck, causing a shriek of pain.

The creature moved around, knocking Ace out before Ace’s vision blurred. Voices could be heard in his head.