Chapter 1

It was late afternoon in LA. The day was beautiful, typical of California. Doctor Danielle Savre, head of cardiothoracic surgery at the LAC+USC Medical Center - General Hospital is one of the most respected cardiologists in the USA - the youngest daughter of doctor Randy Savre, the head of neurosurgery and director of the same hospital and a well respected doctor across North America. The blonde was her parent's and sister's pride. She won the position of head of cardiothoracic surgery at the age of 25, thanks to her ability, inteligence, brilliance and empathy with her patients.

Today, at age 28, the cardiologist believed she had everything she wanted most in life: a successful career (which she loved more than anything else), a handsome fiancee, who loved her and a loving family and trusthful friends.

Danielle was engaged to doctor Grey Damon, who was also a cardiologist, but who didn't come even close to his fiancee. Unlike the blonde's brilliance, who seemed to have been born into medicine, he was a low-average doctor, who always depended on his fiancee to fix and cover up his medical errors.

After a surgery, which had everything to go wrong, but doctor Savre worked her magic, the blonde was really happy, not only for the surgery success, but because she would be able to get home earlier and prepare a surprise for her beloved fiancee. So, the cardiologist went straight home, making plans for a not really innocent reception for Grey.

The blue-eyed girl got home knowing exactly what she was going to do.

💭 Grey, today I'm gonna drive you crazy!

But actually, when she got home, Danielle was the one who's gotten surprised... as soon as she walked in, she already saw her fiancee's coat thrown on the sofa. Despite having her plans to surprise her fiancee completely frustrated, the doctor was happy to notice that he was already home, since he had said he would be all afternoon, maybe until the beginning of the night in the surgical center.

Danielle hurried into the bedroom, but on her way there, she noticed that Grey's clothes were all around the floor, and next to it were some pieces of women's clothes that obviously wasn't hers. As the blonde approached the room, she began to hear a loud noise that she knew very well.

And it was exactly when the doctor saw her world collapse... when she opened her bedroom's door, she saw Grey, her fiancee, making love to another woman in her bed. Before she was noticed, she even heard him say:

"Oh Sandra, you are so hot my love! I've never had a woman like you before! You are, by far, the best sex of my life."

That broke the cardiologist's heart, who couldn't contain herself anymore and said:

"Wow Gray! Are you serious? I can't believe I'm witnessing this! Two months before our wedding? Really?"

Both were startled by the voice coming from the door. The woman immediately covered herself and asked:

"Who the hell are you? And what is this story of missing two months for "our wedding"? Grey, I thought you have told me your fiancee left you after cheating on you! Can you please explain to me this shit? Who is this woman and how does she have the keys of your apartment?"
"Ha, are you serious Grey?"

The doctor hurried to introduce herself, preventing her fiancee from telling any more lies:

"Well, nice to meet you..., Sandra, right? I am doctor Danielle Savre, head of cardiothoracic surgery at LAC+USC Medical Center-General Hospital. And answering your previous question, I used to be this bastard's fiancee. I confess I had no idea I had cheated on him, much less dumped him... oh, by the way, I don't have the keys of his apartment, he's the one who had the keys of MY apartment, but that ends here. Grey, you have 5 minutes to get dressed and get out of MY APARTMENT and of my life as well. I want your copy of the keys back as soon as you get dressed! Like I said, you have 5 minutes. Otherwise I will call the police saying my apartment was broken into. I'll be waiting for you outside."
"Dani, love, wait..."
"Don't you ever dare to call me that again, Grey! It's over!"
"No, I can explain!"
"There's nothing left to say, Grey. The inexplicable cannot be explained! I saw and heard it all. Nobody told me! You lied to me saying you'd be in surgery all afternoon and you brought another woman into my apartment, into MY BED! Your bad lucky is that I finished my surgery well ahead of the schedule. As far as I could tell, she was as deceived as I was. You suck, Gray! So no! I don't want any sort of explanation from you! I just want you to disappear from here. And now you have only 4 minutes more! I sugest you to hurry up!" The little blonde said in a really cold tone."

The man said nothing more. He just started to get dressed. The other woman in turn asked:

"How could you? You are disgusting! I never want to see you again! You make me sick!"

Danielle just yelled:

"3 minutes doctor Damon!"

Sandra got ready first and left Grey alone in the room.

"Aaaah, doctor Savre, can we talk, please? I promise I won't take too much of your time." The woman asked genuinely embarassed.
"Yes, sure. Take a sit, please."

When both women sat down, Grey showed up in the living room. He opened his mouth to say something, but the blonde didn't let him say anything at all. She just took off her engagement ring and handed it to him saying:

"Now you can tell everyone that your ex fiancee left you. But once in your life, be honest and tell the truth, the cheater is you! Now, please, give me my apartment keys back and get out of my way once for all. And one last thing: when you cross my path through the hospital, please have the decency not to talk to me. From now on, the only subject we'll deal will be in the professional sphere. Goodbye Grey!"

The doctor left with his head down, still holding the engagement ring that Danielle had given back to him. After that last conversation, the blue-eyed girl returned to the sofa, where Sandra was waiting visibly embarassed.

"Okay, Sandra. Let's talk." Said the cardiologist
"Well doctor Savre, first of all, I want you to know that I had no idea that Grey was lying to me. If I knew the truth, I'd never be with him..."
"Sandra, it's okay. I mean, what I am trying to say is that I noticed you were as cheated as me. And please, call me Danielle."
"Oh my God, you really are everything people says!"
"Mmm, what do you mean?"
"Everyone who knows you says you're the most wonderful and adorable person anyone can meet. You are kind, empathetic, and despite having all the reasons in the world to beat me and throw me out of your house, you accepted to listen to me. Thank you so much for this!"
"You don't have to thank me. It's not your fault, Sandra. Grey lied to both of us!"
"I know, but I can't help feeling embarassed. I should have known it. But I never thought you were his fiancee. He never told me your name. He used to say it hurt a lot saying your name out loud... all he shared with me was that his fiancee was cheating on him and one day he confronted her and then she left him... I didn't want to push him because I thought he was in so much pain... little did I know... please, forgive me!"
"Hey, it's okay. Don't worry. Actualy I think I expected too much from Grey. Mutual friends had been warning me for some time that maybe what Grey wanted was just to benefit himself from me being the head of cardiothoracic surgery, as he was never a brilliant doctor. On the contrary... well, I've always been the one who never wanted to see the truth."
"I'm so sorry Danielle!" Sandra said genuinely.
"Don't be. At least I found it out before the wedding. It would have been much worse if I had gotten married." The blonde said squeezing Sandra's hands lightly.

The other woman nodded with an understanding look.

"I won't lie, it hurts. So I, who thought I had the perfect life: my dream job, a successful career, wich by the way, I really love, a loving family and a handsome fiancee who loved me... well, it seems this last part of my fairy tale is not that true..." said the doctor with a lost glance and a weak smile.

Sandra couldn't help but feel sorry for that woman. She really didn't deserve that...

"Oh Danielle, you know what? I believe you deserve better! You deserve to find someone who will trully love and respect you! You deserve someone who wants you for all that you are, not for what you can offer. I mean, in relation to benefiting the other person in some way. So, if I can give you some advice, lift your head and move on! You are beautiful and young, successful and owner of a pure and huge heart. I'm sure it won't be difficult to find someone who really deserves you. I know it hurts. I'm not saying it's easy (I'm devastated too) but I'm pretty sure you will overcome Grey sooner than you can imagine!"

The blue-eyed girl thanked her sincerely.

"Go for a travel, cool off. You'll see that when you return, you'll be a new woman, even stronger. And if you allow me, I'd like to keep in touch with you. I know I'm the last person you should want to see in front of you, but I think we can become good friends."
"Thank you dear. I think I'm gonna do exactly that. And of course we can keep in touch. It will be a pleasure! Now I know exactly what to do!"