chapter n i n e

!!DISCLAIMER!!
THIS CHAPTER CONTAINS HEAVY GORE AND VIOLENCE.
VIEWERS DISCRECTION IS ADVISED

Outside of the forest, at the edge of a silent field, rows of military vehicles bustle in the night. Soldiers rushing to and from the forest. One vehicle in particular settled away from the caravan, beneath the shadows of the looming trees. The night was silent as the scent of burning metal and smoke slivered out from the forest. The smell of fire. And death.

A scent he's all too familiar with. A scent that taste of blood.

Then again, that may just be his tongue.

"Major."

The man that sat in the vehicle responded to the name with a glance. He puffed out a stream of hot fume from his cigarette as he lifted the smoke from his lips. As he turned to face the soldiers before him, he revealed a decorated uniform, medals gleaming proudly in the partial light, as the coat rested on his broad shoulders. The Allied soldiers saluted him before they dropped the pack before him.

The group of soldiers saluted in unison to the officer.

"Welcome back, sir. It's good to see you well."

The man didn't blink. "Your report?"

The soldier eased, their arms latching sternly on their back in a military stance. "We didn't find any of the enemies sir." The leading soldier reported before nodding to the pack on his feet. "Just this not far from where they landed by the river. No man would survive an extreme landing like that. We'll find the body in no time."

The man lifted his brow, uninterested by the report. He inhaled his cig, boredly.

"Tell me, Soldier." The man breathed, hot smoky steam drifting from his parting lips. "What do you know of the Silver Comet?"

"The Comet, sir?... Isn't that the name of the fastest Marleyan bird? The one the Dragon flies."

"Mhmm." The major nodded as he leaned back in his seat. "Did you know that the aircrafts actual name is the Hawker? A rather dull name for such a beast. A beauty in all honesty. A fiery, murderous beauty. Many do not know of this fact. Because those who have witnessed the monstrosity of the Dragon only recall one thing. A flash of silver in the sky. A comet if you will... And then Boom." He blew out a puff of smoke into the light, imitating and explosion as his lips curled into a smirk.

"Tell me, Soldier? How does it feel to bring down the legendary Comet with those two hands?"

The soldier perked up. Eyes ogling and jaws agape. Shocked by the news. He hadn't known that the bird he shot down earlier in the day was the legendary aircraft. It didn't look like anything special. Nor was it's flight as impressive as he's heard rumors of it to be. And if the aircraft was the Comet itself- Then man he fired upon... would most likely have been-- The Dragon?!

He looked at the officer in disbelief. The eyes that pierced from the dark nodded to reassure him of his feats. A proud gleam ran through the soldier's eyes as he glanced around to his comrades besides him before-

BANG!

The soldier dropped dead.

The Major pulled the pistol back into the shadows, leaving the two other soldiers smeared with their comrades blood and shaking. "So." The man sighed as he inspected his firearm. "The Dragon himself? Did he just say that he could be dead?"