chapter t h i r t e e n

UNKNOWN CAVE, ALLIED TERRITORY

The day hadn't even turned to eve when the sky began to darken by a rush of storming clouds. As it would turn out, the weather played in Reiner's favor, forcing the two comrades to cut their travels short and earlier for the day. Luckily, they were able to find shelter in a cave at the base of a steep hill right before the storm started to build for the worst.

Saito leaned his shoulder at the mouth of the cave with his arms crossed over his chest as he glared out at every drop of rain with pure rage. He had wanted to travel farther for the day. It may only be their second day towards Qadifa, but Saito would rather be ahead of schedule. With their new and unknown route, who could know of the dangers or anything at all that may hinder their journey. He'd rather play safe and ahead.

A stray raindrop landed on his head, damping his rich brown hair. Saito glanced up as he took a step back into the shelter of the cave. He brushed his hair instinctively as he grumbled. The chill of the approaching autumn added with the rain, only made it the worst time for anyone to travel.

Especially for him in particular, who was still recovering from his wound.

He sneezed as he gathered his arms together across his chest. He winced as he stiffened his body. Pain quickly gnawed at his side from the sudden force of his sneeze. Saito grunted, remembering to breathe slowly through his nose. Caught up in the pain, he had to take a moment to regain his composure and balance. He took a step back to plant his feet steady on the ground to support his stance. He pressed against his injured side in an attempt to subdue that pain as he grimaced.

When his efforts didn't come to any fruition and curious by the intense pain, he slowly unzipped his jacket midway and parted his jumper beneath to check his wound. It was still sealed tight with his fresh bandage that he had changed in the morning. When he had tended to it before waking Reiner up, the wound had seemed to be alright. He didn't see his burned abrasion infected so he couldn't figure out why he was still in so much pain.

Fuck.. He cursed under his breath as he shivered slightly. He put his shirt down and pressed his side and he closed his eyes tight, struggling to keep his mind off the pain. He tried to focus on the sound of the rain instead. But to his displeasure it only reminded him of the discomfort of the rain and how much he hated it from the bottom of his very soul.

The subtle sound of footsteps echoing off the cave walls alerted Saito of Reiner's return from scouting the cave. His golden head materialized first from the dark, like a sunrise at the break of dawn, followed by the rest of his bouldering build. Saito glanced at him as Reiner trotted out.

"Caves clear." He reported as he came up to the pilot's side by the entrance. "There were some old bear droppings at the back but there doesn't seem to be any recent activity."

"Must be a hibernation cave, then." Saito sniffled as he stared back at the rain. He could almost sense the exact moments Reiner perked up at the signs that he was cold. What a fool Saito was to have thought he was able to slip away with it. He sighed and braced himself for another long nag from the Warrior.

He waited with dread. His ears perked at the sound of rustling behind him.

And instead of the berate he was expecting, rather, a garment was tenderly placed on his shoulders. Saito froze in place as Reiner came up in front of him, his pale shirt fluttering like a flag over Saito's shoulders from the winds outside. Perhaps it was because he was in tip top health, or the fact that he was a monsterous weapon of destruction... Reiner didn't seem to mind the chilling weather that bit on his bare arms as he only wore a simple green t-shirt beneath. The Warrior tenderly adjusted his uniform on Saito's smaller frame. However, midway, he noticed Saito's own open and unzipped jacket and took it upon himself to fix it. He pulled the pilot's furred collar snugly across Saito's neck before zipping him up, settling his own shirt again tightly across Saito's body, but left it open and loose.