CHAPTER SEVEN - Augusta

Augusta looked up at the cloudy November sky, and buttoned up her coat. The year was running to an end and the frosty air was sharper than before. Days were becoming shorter and nights growing longer, but Christmas still seemed so far away.

Like her classmates, Augusta had packed her books and fled immediately after her Advanced Placement Physics class. Nerds who wanted to spend any more time than necessary in school were unrealistic stereotypes.

She fell in step with other students who were on their way out of the school gate. It was a hectic day and after the closing bell, Augusta joined the mad rush to escape the school premises. Her haste fueled by a craving for a hot cappuccino at her favorite café.

Regular students wrestled each other to get into the school buses. Cool kids on the other hand, sauntered into their cars and trucks. Some were borrowed, some were blue. Same colors, same models. Others were busy chatting in groups instead of going straight home. The usual lusty pairs were kissing out in the open. Yuck.

Augusta looked on with disinterest and shook her head. Each day gave her more reasons to be sick and tired of high school. The cliques and the drama were tiresome. "Just seven more months," she mumbled.

Seeing a path between the sea of students, Augusta kept her head down and tried not to be noticed as she marched out of the landmines of bullies. There were plenty of reckless, popular jerks, and juvie candidates who would leap at a chance to look tough at her expense. Keeping hope alive, she rushed to the car park short cut.

"What's the hurry, braniac? It's not like you have anywhere to go," a high pitched voice jeered.

Augusta sighed. "Oh no. Not again."

Scattered giggles among the people sparked an arrogant laugh of satisfaction from the speaker. All bullies craved attention, and this one was lapping it up like a hungry dog.

Augusta knew that voice. It was Marina Marsh. The rough chick that hung out with old bearded biker dudes. She tripped Augusta 'by accident' in the Chem lab some months ago. An unrelenting menace who refused to leave Augusta alone in the hallways, at the cafeteria and now after school.

Adjusting her collar, Augusta pretended not to notice she was the victim of another round of belittlement. She kept moving and didn't look back.

More laughter ensued. "Is she deaf?" another person asked.

Then came the downpour of insults...

"What a loser."

"Stupid braniac."

"Why does Pedro talk to her?"

Augusta took a deep breath. The last dig stung. Even the strongest emotional armor had dents and cracks in it. Her determination to stay out of trouble, and maintain her spotless behavioural and academic record felt like a burden. She winced at the weight on her shoulders, but reminded herself that by June it would all be over. Princeton would never consider candidates with a record of unruly behavior. Augusta could not afford to put her chances at risk.

"Just seven months more," Augusta whispered to herself. Fighting back tears, Augusta hastened her steps.

Augusta's heart plummeted when she heard the steps of someone running toward her. Verbal abuse and emotional trauma were crippling, but her worst nightmare was a physical altercation. Augusta turned around and Marina Marsh sneered at her, and flipped her pink tinted hair over her shoulder. She was a few inches shorter than Augusta, but had a solid build. Her typical black leather skirt was paired with a tight, red top.

A crowd gathered in a semi circle, but backed away at a safe distance.

"Why can't you leave me alone, Marina? What have I ever done to you?" Augusta asked.