CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

Pedro was over the moon. He received three, full ride scholarship offers. The king of them all was Doyle. On Coach Denning's advice, he told all the talent scouts that he was honored to be recognized, but would get back to them after careful consideration.

Coming down from the adrenaline high after a football battle was like crashing and burning. The fatigue in his bones, and the aches in his muscles begged for relief. He wished he ditched the after party at Fawcett's house and hung out with Augusta instead. She would have given him a massage. Whether it had a happy ending or not, he did not mind. 

"I'm gonna miss you bastards when we graduate," Henry slurred with tears in his eyes.

Henry's twin, DJ, rolled his eyes. "We can still keep in touch, bruh."

"Yeah. Send me a freakin' postcard jerks," Lucas added. 

They sat around the outdoor pool, drinking and eating junk food. No girlfriends or groupies. Just the guys honoring a post championship tradition. 

"Pedro can't wait to get outta here," Fawcett joked. He shoved a handful of corn chips in his mouth, and washed it down with a can of beer. 

Pedro chuckled. "Don't give up on mind reading. You'll cash out, bruh."

"How the heck am I supposed to survive till I make it? Sugar mummies want dudes like you," he retorted. 

Pedro laughed out loud at the diss, and everyone else joined in before he clapped back. "But your Aunt Clara says she prefers a package deal like DJ and Henry."

"Hell naw!" the twins replied shuddering with disgust.

Pedro dove into the pool and swam out of harm's way when Fawcett threw a beer can at him. The guys fell apart with laughter and Fawcett joined in. 

Rising from the water, Pedro braced himself on the edge of the pool. The scent of chlorine in his nostrils and the slight sting in his eyes made his eyes twitch. 

"Fight!" someone shouted from inside the house. 

It turned out to be two guys doing a drunken reenactment of a wrestling match. It was no surprise to Pedro that people had already started placing their bets. 

"Take it outside, jerks!" Fawcett shouted. 

As if obeying orders, they crashed through the glass sliding door with immediate effect. 

Pedro empathized with his friend over the party which had gone south. It was a shame, but Pedro decided to bounce before the cops arrived. 

***

Augusta in his jersey and micro shorts was a delight to see. She was kicking his butt in the video game they were playing in her sitting room. Her beauty was distracting him. 

"I told ya," she said with a cheeky grin and eyes trained on the television screen. "I said I'd kick your butt."

Pedro dropped his game pad. "Screw it. You won, I lost. Now come over here," he commanded.

Augusta walked over to him. "Do you want a massage?" she asked. 

"I thought you'd never ask."

Pedro groaned with delight when her fingers dug in his shoulders and back. The circular movement of her thumbs loosened the knots in his muscles. 

"Damn, babe. You're so good at this," he praised. 

Augusta laid a peck on his cheek, and continued. She told him about her STEM projects and her annoying, new music teacher. Pedro cherished how they were like pieces of a puzzle. Despite their differences, they fit together in perfect harmony.