CHAPTER SEVENTEEN - AM/PM

PEDRO

"Bro, calm down," Lucas teased. "You're Pedro freaking Milan. You've got this."

Pedro's tension was not caused by the regular pre match pressure. A troll called 'Pedro's worst nightmare', sent him a friend request that morning which he promptly deleted. Of all things Pedro hated it was bad vibes before a game. It had been a while since him and Augusta had seen the creepy, blue station wagon. He hoped there was no connection between the two.

His fingers trembled slightly and he jogged on the spot to bring his nerves under control. He prayed and ran a hand through his hair before putting his helmet on. The locker room was stuffy with heat, and he could hear the screams and shouts of the excited fans in the distance. 

Today was the biggest day in his high school football career. The state championship. It was a gruesome battle from the beginning of the season, and there had been casualties along the way. Like his good friend, Fawcett, put out of action by a hellacious tackle in their semi final match.

The Roseview Raiders were going head to head against the Winston Wildcats, whom had not been in the finals since seven years ago. Pedro expected they would put up a fight. 

"Listen up fellas!" Coach Denning bellowed. "I've known most you since your scrawny, freshman butts signed up for football."

All the seniors laughed, including Fawcett, who had his arm in a cast but insisted on being present for the pregame pep talk. 

Denning crossed his arms. "I'm proud of the incredible men you've become."

A sober hush rested upon the room. Denning's compliments were few and far between.

"Those of you who aren't seniors need to put one hundred percent into this game," he added with a finger stabbing the air for emphasis. "The seniors among you need to put a minimum of one thousand percent into it. Firstly, because talent scouts from the top colleges in the country will be here. Secondly, because you should leave Roseview as the mothertruckin' champions!"

The guys howled like wolves and banged on their lockers as they hyped themselves up. 

"Captain, do you have a word for us?" Denning asked Pedro as he clapped his back firmly. 

"Yes, sir!" Pedro quipped. He stepped forward and all the boys huddled together as he addressed them. "Roseview!"

"Raiders!" 

"What are you here for?"

"To win."

"Is that all?"

"No. We're here to raid and conquer!"

Pedro grinned. "That right, barbarians! Let's do what we do best."

"Conquer," they all shouted as they ran out to the field. 

***

AUGUSTA

Augusta's throat was raw from shouting. She had a front row seat, a huge Roseview banner and was proudly wearing her man's jersey. Priya sat beside her, but waved a small flag instead. 

The sport stadium was full to maximum capacity, a sea of red and gold on the Roseview side and green and white Winston supporters on the other. Excited cheers of the fans filled the air. 

"Chill the heck out," Priya yelled at Augusta. "You haven't sat down since halftime."

Augusta raised a silent hand to dismiss interruptions. Roseview and Winston were tied after a tense first half, which ended with a shocking equalizer from Winston. Time was ticking fast and neither team had been able to break the stalemate. "I'll sit down after the match. K?"