chapter sixteen | fixed

GARRETT HALE

"Garrett? You there?" Austin asks me. "Uh, yeah, I'm here," I mutter back.

"Anyways, Kayla is complaining about you. She says, and I quote, 'I'm going to put him in order for hurting my best friend.' So have fun dealing with that," He laughs.

Wonderful. Another person was mad at me. Don't get me wrong, I don't care that Leona is mad at me.

Nope. That didn't sound right.

Leona isn't wrong for being mad at me. If my mother and sister knew that I did something like that, then they quite literally kill me.

I know that I messed up, and I'm going to make it up to her.

I don't know what to do. I'll make it known that I regret what I'm doing.

I decide to just head over there and talk this out with her. She opens the door a minute after I knock and I gently smile at her.

"Hi," She simply says, not opening the door any further. I feel like now isn't the time to tell her that's she looks like an angry kitten when she's mad.

To be fair, she does. Between her short figure and the scowl on her face, she looks adorable.

"Can I come in?" I question her, knowing that I am probably not going to be let in otherwise. "I guess," She says and widens the door enough for me to come in.

I think even Bella knows what I did because she's laying on the couch glaring at me.

Leona pushes me down onto the couch to sit. She comes and sits next to me. Very close next to me, all cuddled up to my side. "I'm still upset with you, but you are a guy and comfortable. Talk," She says, grumbling at the end.

I pull her up onto my lap so that she is looking at me, not around. "I want you to know that I'm sorry. I'm sure you figured that, but still," I start off with.

"I'm just saying, that if you are going to act like a child every time you lose, then maybe we shouldn't be together," She starts off with and my eyes widen. Is she breaking up with me?

"You can ask for space, or whatever you want, but what you did isn't okay," She states while she crosses her arms over her chest. She's so cute.

"I know. I'm sorry that I hurt you," I stroke her hair gently. She leans into my touch and then looks like she realizes something.

"Stop it!" She says and practically jumps off of my lap. "Stop what?" I ask, confused. She usually loves it when I stroke her hair like that.

"It makes me all mushy inside and I'm mad at you," She says and sits a good five feet away from me.

I grab her ankle and pull her closer to me. She tries to move away, but after a minute of trying and failing she just lays against my chest.

"I'm not mad at you," She starts, I can tell that isn't all she wants to say. "I'm upset at how you treated me. A lot of times during my life people haven't treated me right, and I will not be with someone who will do that. I don't necessarily think you will be like those people, but if you are I will not be with you," She sternly says.

I'm glad that she feels safe enough with me to stand up for herself like that. Even if her foul mood is directed towards me, I'm still glad.

"That's fine. You get to have an opinion," I tell her. Usually, I'm not like that after my games, even when we lose. My anger got the best of me that day and I will probably feel like shit about it forever.

"Great! What do you want to do today?" She happily asks me, completely changing her mood.

"You can decide," I tell her and she narrows her eyes at me. I know that she doesn't like deciding what to do.