chapter eighteen | anger

LEONA MONTGOMERY

I decide to take a nap so I will chill out. I hate when I get like this, and I hate even more that I can't control it.

I lay down on my side and pass out a few minutes later.

When I wake up it's almost five. Damn. I can sleep a lot.

I have a bunch of notifications from Garrett. I'll probably just not hang out with him so I can get my emotions in check.

Usually, I'm only out of wack for a day or two, so that's easy enough to lie about not being able to hang out.

"Hey," He answers as I accept his call. If I avoid him from calls and texts too, he will be suspicious and might come to check on me.

"What's up?" I ask. I probably have some attitude in my voice but I can't help it. I'm just so frustrated right now and I don't know how to fix it.

"A few of the guys and their wives are going out for dinner. Do you want to come?" He questions and I cover my mouth and let out a silent whimper as tears come to my eyes. "I can't. I have to do something, maybe next time," I tell him.

I can't be too specific because if I said with Kayla, he would know that's not true. After all, I'm sure that she and Austin will be there with him.

We hang up a few minutes later and I just stuff my head into my pillow.

I was mad at Garrett that he asked me that. I don't even have a logical reason for this.

It just frustrates me that I'm being snappy with him even though he did nothing wrong. I let out a sigh and just let some of the tears fall.

After crying for a bit I get up and check my blood sugar. I need to call my insurance company and see about just getting my stuff through them instead of my primary care doctor.

Pulling my phone off of the charger I find the number and call. This is going to be a nightmare.

"Name, address, and phone number," The automated voice asks when I answer the phone.

"Leona Jade Montgomery," I start, and tell them the rest of my information. After a few minutes of quite literally talking to robots, I finally get a person.

"My Dexcom and omnipod stopped working and I need my old ones replaced," I tell the woman.

I would have had to call my insurance company anyway because I had a ton of old ones that got ruined anyway.

"What type do you use?" She questions and I resist the urge to hang up when I hear her chewing gum very loudly. "Dexcom G6," I reply.

I've been using that one for most of my life because it simply just works for me.

Sometimes when diabetics are looking for something to use it takes a few tries. I got lucky and it worked well with me on the first try, not that I remember.

Some just don't get accurate counts on you, but they do on other people. I shake my head and keep answering all of the questions that she's asking me about myself, my insurance, and my diabetes.

Eventually, I find out that I'm able to get them all replaced and get my new ones.

I only need to get different ones for the first time, after that, I can do what I always do and get my prescription filled at the pharmacy. Then, I just have to pick everything up once in a while.

I put on some slippers and head downstairs to the kitchen.

Once I put up the heat a few degrees, I grab some stuff to make a salad. I'm just throwing it together with what I have.