Ch. 17- Winter Wonderland

Snowflakes descended across the land, frigid snow hung along the dry larch drooped along the frozen lakes as the Snezhnayan people built snowmen and merrily skated around with their families, the spirit of the upcoming occasion adorned with twinkling lights and decorations.

Within the walls of the Zapolyarny palace, hurried footsteps made their way to the halls where many ushered guests and arranged the place with lavish furniture and accessories.

The Cryo archon sat on her throne, remaining cliff-faced while the maids chattered quietly with each other before the entrance opened to reveal one of her messengers.

"Have the others made the preparations?" She asked as whispers were exchanged with the others present.

"Yes, your majesty." The messenger bowed.

"Excellent, be on your way then."She waved her hand as they excused themself out of the throne room.

"Now for the 11 of you.." She lowered her gaze towards the harbingers. "Station your subordinates and patrol yourselves within the perimeters of the city, no rodent must scurry around once the palace gates are open." Her eyes bore at each individual as they complied with hardened expressions.

Scaramouche averted his attention towards the other harbingers, his gaze met with distasteful glares as they left the hall in silence.

He sighed as the chilly breeze swept across his face, trudging along the carefully decorated homes and shops with a blank expression as he stumbled across a small cabin where people gathered around.

Although the warm comfort the flames provided were enough for many, the balladeer preferred a quiet place after the unpleasant reunion with the others.

"Why am I even here..." His cold breath obscured his vision as he sought refuge near the snow-capped outskirts.

.

.

.

The skies darkened as specks of white frost hovered along the spotlights of the lamp posts, the insides of homes lit in a halcyon glow.

Crunched footsteps approached the harbinger while he stared at the night sky, promptly turning towards two familiar individuals.

"Scara! What are you doing here?" Teucer said with glee as Childe carried some firewood.

He looked at the two silently before he resumed observing the scenery.

"Resting." He spoke curtly as Teucer chuckled.

"If you want to rest, you can go to our house!" He suggested with a smile while his older sibling tensed, looking back at Scaramouche with hesitation.

"I-I think he's too occupied to come along with us..Maybe next time!" Tartaglia stammered as the younger one frowned.

The balladeer caught on with the 11th harbinger's dubiousness as an amused smile formed on his face.

"Fine, I'll tag along just this once." He said with an assured look towards Childe.

Teucer jumped with glee as he followed the two in silence.

.

.

.

Needless to say, their home was not too shabby, suitable enough for a number of people to live in. The wooden interior filling the property with comfort.

Although the residents of their home didn't expect a guest, they still gave him a warm welcome albeit with the help of Childe.

Fervor and high spirits ran in the family of this battle frenzied harbinger, showing their smiles and outgoing nature as they talked to Scaramouche with curiosity.

It will certainly be a long and arduous night for him...

.

.

.

The harbinger slowly approached the porch of the residence, languidly resting near its edge after a wearisome interaction with the others.

The welcoming warmth of a family, isn't it nice.....?

His dull eyes stared into the distance as the door opened behind him, revealing Tartaglia carrying two mugs of hot cocoa with a soft smile.

"Here you go." He handed one of them towards Scaramouche as the two stood idly by the frostbitten snow.

He took a glance at the small harbinger before he chuckled. "You look exhausted. They are rambunctious alright."

The balladeer pursed his lips just before taking a sip of the warm beverage he held tightly.

"You have a wonderful family. You're lucky to have them." He whispered as he lowered his gaze.

"H-huh..?"

"What?" He raised a brow at Childe as he traced the snow beneath his feet.

"I wasn't..nevermind.." His words trailed off while he leaned near the wooden pillar. "Yeah..they're amazing. I love them dearly."

They both averted their attention towards the night sky, Aurora dancing among the stars as it stretched across the snowy mountain ranges and forests, enveloping it with colorful trailing streaks of light.

.

.

.

May this winter wonderland be blessed with fortune.