T-Minus Five Days and Seventeen Hours

Of all the places in the world, Tej took Aimos to a Werewolf's building

Of all the places in the world, Tej took Aimos to a Werewolf's building. A Werewolf.

He smelled it all the way from the bottom of the stairs, the foul scent of canines. "Werewolves live here," he warned Tej as the latter led him up a sad-looking staircase with metal railings and dull tube lights greeting them at each landing.

"Yes."

"Yes? Shouldn't you be worried?"

"Worried, why?" Tej glanced back at Aimos with a frown. "She's a friend."

"A friend?" Aimos had a lot of questions, including but not limited to why a Vampire was friends with a Werewolf or why a superstar's friend would live in a shabby apartment like this. The walls required a new coat of paint, the floor was unpolished and the steps were uncomfortably high to walk on; the expected place of residence for any middle-class canine.

"Yes," Tej said again - at least he was answering questions now! "Well, she used to be my bodyguard a few years ago. Now we're friends."

Aimos was still pondering on that when Tej came to a halt in front of a wooden door and rang the bell.

The Werewolf who greeted them was a big woman, taller and broader than Aimos, with unruly hair falling around her shoulders. Her sleep-laden eyes widened on seeing Tej. "Holy shit."

What a rude, uncultured way to greet guests.

"Hi, Ereka," Tej sounded tired. "Sorry to bother you at this hour."

That made the woman snort. "I'd be more surprised if a Vampire came knocking at my door in the middle of the day. Come in. Come in."

Tej walked in as she sidestepped, pulling Aimos by the hand. The Vampire's fingers were long, thin and really cold. Aimos should let go. He should. He would... in like, one more minute.

"Jesus, I haven't seen you in ages. Well, seen you in person, I mean," Ereka said, closing the door after her. A part of Aimos felt... trapped, in that place. The stink was worse here, though the house looked better than he had anticipated. The living room was small, the size of Aimos' bathroom, but it was neatly kept and the light colours of the walls and couches made it look clean. The walls were stacked with framed pictures of people and expensive-looking books - hardcovers, leather bounds, both old and new paperback copies - littered the shelves and corners of the floor. There was a kitchen attached to the side and a dark corridor led further into the apartment.

From that said darkness, a pleasant-sounding voice shouted, "Who is it, love?"

Ereka smirked. She gestured Tej and Aimos towards the couch, then yelled back, "An old friend. You gotta come meet him."

"Who is it?"

"You wouldn't believe me if I told you."

The voice cursed. "I don't want to meet your mom, love."