T-Minus Five Days and Sixteen Hours

Tej was back to being his broody, uncaring self when Aimos descended on a beautiful island in the middle of nowhere

Tej was back to being his broody, uncaring self when Aimos descended on a beautiful island in the middle of nowhere. It was lush with trees and decorative lights. A large modern-built house sat near the eastern beach, impressive architecture leading it into the waters. Aimos landed away from that building, near the treeline.

Tej slid off the Dragon wordlessly and dropped the bag of clothes at his feet. As Aimos watched, he walked a couple of steps away and stood there with his back to Aimos.

Leave, Aimos wanted to say. The Vampire was nothing if not irritating and this was nothing if not humiliating but the way Tej stood there, as if keeping guard, made Aimos close his eyes and sigh. The fire curled in his throat, dancing to the beat of his thundering heart. Being in this body was like stepping barefoot on grass, he felt calm and complete, but now, his insides were too restless, too uncomfortable. He turned away from Tej and Shifted; the familiar crack of bones, the shrinking of muscles. With a single blink, his eyesight changed from sharp colours to a bland, wide vision. The fire faded into a dull warmth at the base of his throat.

He stood on two weak legs, naked against the cold sea breeze, soft hair falling into his eyes.

His clothes were still damp from his time in the rain and the thought of wearing them itched but he had no other choice. He pulled on his pants, then the shirt and bent down to wear his shoes. Tej's unmoving presence so close to him provided an irrational urgency to get dressed.

He could not believe he just did that; acted like... like some steed. If anyone found out... The thought made him shudder. In the best-case scenario, they would laugh and call him names. In the worst-case scenario, they would outcast him and humiliate his pack for centuries to come.

But it had to be done, did it not? For the larger goal. It was a small sacrifice to become a Greater Dragon, so then... why did Tej, of all people, get angry about it? He asked questions, doubted Aimos' ability to make sensible choices and that, in its own way, was even more humiliating than kneeling for him. It was something Aimos had not agreed to or prepared for.

Tonight was really not shaping up to be his night.

He put on his sweater vest, considered the coat and decided against wearing it. The woven bracelet that identified him as the Head Curator was in the coat pocket and he left it there. "Let's go."

Tej nodded without looking back and started towards the house. Aimos followed two paces behind. As he walked, he pulled out his phone, ignored all the notifications and opened the chat with Keah: I got him to say yes!! The band's performing

Keah's reply was instant: REALLY????

Aimos: Yes. So DO NOT TELL ANYONE I'M HIS BOYFRIEND (or whatever your plan was)

Aimos: Just say they are in, it was all a misunderstanding. And confirm THAT I'M NOT DATING HIM.

Keah: OKAY!!!!!!