Baker's Dream

(a/n: covid isn't a thing)

If I have to 'pretend' grade one more fucking paper because my professor thinks that it'll help me more, I'm going to go insane. I marked the final problem needed for this second stack of 128 previous English exams from a primary school. I sighed deeply and tilted my head back, thankful that this whole grading thing was over now.

My peace from not grading was soon interrupted by a stern couch from my right. I flinched and sat upright, looking over at my professor who was not impressed with me at all. I was cursing myself out in my head as he spoke up,

"You don't have time to slack off if you want to become a teacher, Miss y/l/n."

"Sorry sir, I'll make sure it won't happen again." I apologized to him as I stood up and bowed to him in order to show my sincere apologies. If I actually mean it is another story. He looked okay with my half ass apology and dismissed me from his office, which is where I always grade these stupid things.

There's no secret he thinks I have the best chance at becoming a good teacher, so he always puts me through hell and back. I swear he gives me a different exam than my classmates during lectures because that shit doesn't make any sense. It's a miracle that I'm even passing this class, but it's the only thing I got going for me here, so I put all my energy into it.

"I'll see you tomorrow at 8am for the lecture." He stated as he started to shut down his computer and put his notes and things away in his leather bag. I fumbled with my things and haphazardly threw my things into my backpack. I felt his gaze on me, but I ignored it and zipped my bag up, bowing to him one last time before opening the door and leaving.

As soon as I was out of that stupid place, I took a deep breath of fresh, polluted city air and made my walk to my apartment. I checked my phone for the time and saw it was 6:12pm, so I can pick up a small meal on the way. I stopped at a corner and pressed the button to cross the street. As I waited, my eyes drifted to the multiple billboards and advertisements plastered on the sides of buildings.

One thing here in Seoul is no matter what the product may be, there's always some sort of idol advertising it. I get it though because kpop is a huge thing bringing in so much money for the economy. I would be lying if I said it didn't have any influence on why I started to learn Korean.

There was a class in secondary school for me back in my country and I took it because 1) I had a Korean friend and we wanted to talk shit about people without them knowing and 2) I love kpop. I was in that class for 4 years and had the best grades, maybe because I would watch kdramas and reality shows with idols 24/7. But I digress, the language itself is beautiful and I really enjoyed learning it.

The little icon changed and I made my way across the street, secretly hoping a car would hit me so I could get some money. It didn't happen sadly, so I just wandered to my favorite ramen place near my apartment.

I entered the tiny restaurant and the one waitress recognized me immediately. I smiled and waved at her as I just sat down on a waiting chair since I knew she knew my order. There were only two couples in here besides me: an older couple with gray hair and then a young couple that looked so in love. I averted my eyes from them as I knew I would get envious of both of their relationships.

Being hopelessly in love and growing old together.

"Hello y/n." Jung Hwan said as she dusted off her small apron that was wrapped around her waist. I smiled up at her,

"Hello to you too. You got my order placed?" I asked her and she nodded,

"Of course, that's why I came over to you. I need to take your money." She said with a devilish smile as I chuckled, pulling out some cash for her. Jung Hwan thanked me and skipped back to the register as she rang me up. I watched her eyes glance over to the two couples, making sure that they didn't appear to need any service from her at the moment.