Chapter 3~Who is she?

Toni

"How are you gonna let some random motherfucker drive you somewhere?" Kenny and I were back at my apartment. We had just walked in and he was still going on about this. It's been like this for the past three hours.

"Listen, she's the aunt of one of my students and she offered after you left me sitting and waiting for two hours. Janet was nice enough to offer. I was going to turn her down but then I got cold."

"Wait, Janet. Are you talking about Janet Jackson?"

"Yeah." I walked into my room to change out of my slightly damp clothes.

"So you let a drug dealer drive you somewhere? All of New York knows that she's a dangerous person." That must've been why she was shocked when I asked her who she was. But why wouldn't she tell me after she knew I didn't know. Maybe I'll ask her the next time I see her.

"Listen, it's not that big of a deal. I got there in one piece, no thanks to you."

"Aye, do you want me to make the music things work or not?"

"Of course I do, but that doesn't change the fact that you left me for almost two hours after promising you would be there."

"Listen, I'm sorry if I forgot because I was trying to make our dreams happen. Sorry for trying to be better for you. You must not want me to be a better person. You must not want us to have a better life."

"No that's not it...."

"Then what is it? Because obviously you're made that I was working on giving you everything you've ever wanted." He was getting upset. I can see I had hurt him and now I felt really bad because he really was trying to do better.

"It's just that I thought you would be there."

"Well, you told me to start working, that's what I was doing. Do you not want me to do what you asked?" He was right. I did ask him to work harder.

"No baby." He sat down on the bed. I walked over to him. "Look I'm sorry."

"It's okay. You just hurt me. I'm just trying to be the best person for you." He put his head in his hands. I hugged him from behind.

"Listen, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings."

"It's okay."

"Look, since you're working so hard with the music thing, I'll try harder to understand. Ok?"

"Okay. Thanks, baby."

"No problem, come on why don't I make you something to eat."

"That'll be nice."

"Good. Let's go." We went into the kitchen and he sat with me while I cooked dinner. I just wanted to make sure that he was feeling better. I wanted him to know that I supported him through everything.

Janet

"So my baby is out here threatening these kids," said Mother.

"Yeah, and she volunteered me to beat up their mommas." Everyone laughed. We had finished dinner and now we were all hanging in the upstairs living room of my parents' house. Stacee was in the play area doing what little kids do. Gil was over so he brought his niece to play and so did LaToya's friend Kathy.

"Girl you know gangstas always got a crew," said Michael.

"You got that right."

"So tell us more about this teacher," said Joseph. I blushed.

"Come on. Let's not do this y'all. I'm trying to be a friend to her."

"With benefits?" asked LaToya.