Chapter 2: Mirror Mirror on the Wall...

Aria quickly made her way through the market, her face burning at Riff's actions. Lost in thought, she didn't notice the woman in front of her until it was too late. Giving a yelp of surprise, Aria tumbled to the ground, the peaches falling out of her arms and scattering on the dirt.

"Ay, dios mío," the other girl muttered, helping to gather the fallen peaches. "Are you okay niña?"

Grabbing the last peach, Aria rose to her feet, smiling sheepishly.

"Yeah, I'm okay. I'm sorry, I should have been paying more attention to where I was going," she said with a small smile.

"I'm Anita, and this is Bernardo." She gestured to the man standing beside her. He eyed her carefully.

"Hola," he said simply.

"I'm Aria." She glanced at the plates and cups in their hands. "Did you just move here?" Anita's eyes brightened.

"Sí! We used to live in Brooklyn, but when Bernardo graduated from college, we wanted to move. Bernardo's friend Chino lives in this area, and he helped us decide where to go," she said.

"That's great!" Aria said. "I've lived here practically my entire life, so I can totally show ya all the best places to visit sometime, if ya like."

"Sí, I'd like that," Anita replied with a smile. Aria smiled back, but her excitement faded slightly when she saw Riff making his way towards her. She groaned and slipped behind Anita and Bernardo.

"Hide me," she whispered. Anita's eyebrows furrowed and she followed Aria's line of sight.

"What, from the tall pasty white boy? What is he, your boyfriend?"

"Hardly," Aria snorted with disdain.

Bernardo tensed as Riff stood in front of him, and he subconsciously pulled Anita closer to his side. Riff ignored him, focusing entirely on the poorly hidden figure of Aria behind them.

"Ya know, you're not as stealthy as ya think," he said, his eyebrows raising as she reluctantly stepped out beside Anita.

"Go away, Riff," she said quietly.

"Come on. We're leaving, now." He stepped forward and reached to grab her arm, but Bernardo smacked his hand away. Riff rolled his shoulders and reached for her again, and Bernardo shoved him backwards.

"Listen, pendejo, she told you to leave. So, get lost." Aria's eyes widened, surprised that a stranger would stand up for her. Her heart sank as two Jets materialized next to Riff, having seen the commotion. Most of the bystanders in the marketplace had hurried away, giving the boys a wide berth, lest they become the object of their wrath. Riff looked to the boys on either side of him, a smirk sliding onto his face.

"Ya know," he began, stepping forward towards Bernardo, "I'm getting real tired of you 'spics showing up where you're not wanted. So how's about this. You stay out of Jet business, and you won't get no trouble. If you don't..."

Anita grasped Bernardo's arm, her eyes pleading.

"Por favor, Bernardo, vámonos. Que no vale la pena!"

Bernardo ignored her, and Anita's eyes shifted to Aria, silently begging her to intervene.

Bernardo and Riff moved towards each other, their fists clenched tightly. Aria quickly darted between them, grabbing Riff's arm.

His eyes met hers, and she saw the hatred burning within them.

"Riff, please don't. I'll go home, just don't start a fight with people who've never done anything to you." She looked at him pleadingly, her eyebrows creasing. He appeared torn for a moment, his eyes searching hers earnestly. By the time he turned back to where Bernardo and Anita had been standing, they were already hurrying away, Anita holding onto Bernardo tightly. She looked back at them, and Aria mouthed 'I'm sorry'. Anita nodded slightly, her face set in a grimace. Riff shook his head, still seething.