Chapter Four: Wouldn't You Like to Work in a Bakery?

Aria awoke with a start the next morning, glancing around the room.

'Where am I?' she thought, rubbing her eyes. Her gaze flitted around the room, taking the cans stacked up to the ceiling and the dusty shelves. 'Right,' she thought. She was at Valentina's shop. She rolled out of bed and trudged up the stairs. Valentina was there, bustling about the room with an armful of assorted candy bars.

"Good morning mija," she said, waving her hand haphazardly in the air.

"Good morning," Aria replied. "What time is it?"

"It's just past nine. I thought I would let you sleep."

Thanks," Aria said with a grateful smile. I should probably get going, I have to be to work at eleven."

"Alright," Valentina said, dusting her hands off on her apron and coming to stand by Aria. She reached out and grasped the girl's hand tightly. "Don't be such a stranger, okay? I miss having you and your brother around," she said, her eyes betraying a glint of sadness. "And," she added, "let me know when you hear about Tony. I'll keep my ears open as well," she said.

"I will. Thanks Valentina," Aria said as she headed out the door.

"Anytime, cariño," Valentina said, blowing her a kiss as she left.

—————————————————————————

After returning to the rundown apartment she shared with Tony and changing, Aria set off. She worked in a bakery that was nestled right in the heart of Jet territory. Tony had forbade her from getting a job closer to No Man's Land, despite her protests. The Jets resided in the Upper West Side of Manhattan, along with No Man's Land and the downtown area after that. All in all, they stretched out over fifty or so blocks. The Jets controlled the upper portion, the people who immigrated to the country typically resided in the lower twenty blocks, and the ten in the middle made up No Man's Land. Just East of the top of Jet territory lay Uptown. This was where all the rich business men lived. Since Aria worked right on the edge of Uptown, the bakery was frequented by 'the suits', as they were called, and Aria detested them.

'They've never had to wonder about what they're going to eat, or whether they'll make it to tomorrow,' she thought bitterly. She remembered the days after her father had left them, and their mother's health grew steadily worse. They had been starving, and for a while, Aria had been sure they would die. She shook her head, trying to banish the memories from her mind, but her heart remained heavy as she walked in the doors of the bakery.

"Hello, there Aria!" Sean called from the back. Even after all this time, it still amused Aria that a big, burly Scotsman like Sean ran a bakery called 'Sweets and Treats'. She supposed it just went to show that you shouldn't judge a book by its cover. She called out a greeting and took her place behind the register, waving at Courtney to signal goodbye. Courtney nodded and waved back, practically sprinting for the door.

"Rough morning?" Aria asked with a snort. Sean nodded.

"Aye, that it has been. Couldn't quite tell ya why though. Some days that's just how it is," he said gruffly, proceeding to excuse himself as he went to the back to check on the muffins in the oven.

The first few hours of Aria's shift proceeded normally. She sat on a stool during a break in the rush of customers, brushing dirt off her shoes when the doorbell clanged. She started to rise from the stool, before scoffing and plopping back down.

"Hey Mouthpiece," she said, examining her fingernails. "Isn't this a little close to Uptown for you?" she asked with a smirk. When she got no response, she glanced up at him. His eyes were wide, and he was fidgeting with his hands, a cigarette clenched between his teeth. "You're not allowed to have those in here," she said with a sigh, pointing towards the door. "Out, and when you come back in, maybe I'll give you a muffin or something," she said. He nodded, his face ashen, and he ran out the door.
'What's his deal?' she thought to herself. The bell rang again, and this time when Mouthpiece entered, he was flanked by Action and Diesel. Diesel regarded her carefully, and she felt her stomach drop. Something must have happened.