Chapter 7: The Secret Fan

"Coffee? Sure, I'm free tomorrow. But why?"

"Nothing much, I just wanted to have a chat with you."

The earlier night, Lucas's mother had personally asked me to meet her in a nearby cafe at a specified time. It was the most famous designation for people who were interested in exchanging casual conversations. Usually, these would be friends catching up in the area, single folks hoping to find their soulmates, and students wanting to relax after school.

From time to time, I would often find myself here too. But I'm certain today's experience would far outshine its predecessors, especially considering who my companion would be.

The prices Sunflower Cafe offered varied from inexpensive to first-rate, depending on the type of order made. In short, it's essentially advertising itself to every person out there. A kind of marketing strategy that seems outright foolish. Has history not taught us over and over again that appealing to numerous options would only spell doom? But considering the owner has success to show for it, it's not like anyone can refute it now.

I looked at my watch. 8:58 AM. Only two more minutes to go.

Since Mrs. Natalia offered to pay for the iced coffee herself, it was difficult to decline. Therefore, I didn't. She didn't particularly elaborate anything regarding the matter that we would be discussing today. Maybe it was regarding my performance? Or was it something outside that? Impossible, there would be no reason for me to think so.

"Good morning, Eliza!" she cheerfully greets with a smile while waving. "Thank you for waiting."

"No, I actually just got here." My good rule of thumb is to be ten minutes earlier than expected. Given that nature thrived around the business area, the scenery was spectacular, and thus, left me in a very good mood while expecting their arrival. After all, they were good background images for my daydreams.

"I'd like to take the outside seats, would that be alright with you?" Mrs. Natalia asked.

"Ah, yes. It's perfectly alright with me." I wasn't exactly paying, even though I still bought money with me, so there's really no need to be demanding. Besides, the option wasn't really bad.

As thanks for her paying for the food and drinks, I proposed the idea of ordering them. Although performing such a thing wasn't on my good side, it can't be one-sided now, can it? You still have to make sure you have a face to show for it.

She gladly accepted and handed me a list of her order along with cash. Upon receiving it, she also told me that I could order whatever my heart desired. I simply replied that I'll have what she'll be having. Looking back on it now, that may have been a foolish move on my part. All the indicated items were way beyond my budget and definitely, without a shred of doubt, belong to the first-rate prices. Even the least expensive food is still outside of the margin of the allowance in my pockets.

In case this situation would take a u-turn, I'd be left vulnerable.

Nevertheless, I found it a bit embarrassing to refuse after everything's gone this far. Maybe things won't be as bad as my anxiety makes me believe. I surely hope so.

The total amount the screen showed me made every hair in my body stand. It was worth more than my rent in total! No, these figures would actually be able to feed me for six months. Imagine being able to flex that your casual visit at the cafe, which would probably only last a few minutes, is greater than someone's monthly rent.

Can't relate.

All my life, I've constantly been backed to an edge so much so that if the current circumstances indicate otherwise, my mind would immediately brace for a tragedy. It's always been that way. When the day seems so perfect, it suddenly rains. And what would you know, your umbrella goes missing. That brings me back.