Chapter 41

Blakely and I took Gavin to our usual place before we started going to Lilli's, and I missed the place, honestly. There was no drama, no owner wanting to rip my head off from behind the counter, and no group of girls glaring at me from the corner booth. Instead, it was quiet and serene. We were able to sit there and drink our iced lattes without being bothered by anyone. I forgot what it was like to go out with friends and not have to worry about who would come up to me or if Easton would come barging through the door, begging me to talk to him. 

"I need to get home soon," Blakely said, looking down at her smartwatch. 

"Same. I've got homework that is due tomorrow." I took another drink of my latte. 

"Uh, you both are going to bail on me." Gavin sighed. "

"What are you going to do tonight? I asked. 

"Dad's got something going on for his company. So, it's just me." 

"Why don't you come over? My parents are actually going to be home for a change." 

Blakely looked over at me, placing her hands on both sides of her cheeks with her mouth wide open, trying not to laugh while doing it. Unfortunately, she could only hold that pose for five seconds; then, she started laughing—one of the many things I loved about Blakely—her inability to stay serious for too long. I was serious enough for both of us. 

"I know Mom and Dad would love to see you." I smiled at Gavin. 

"Okay." 

"Great. I'll let her know you are coming over for dinner." 

"I thought..."

"What?" I glanced up from my phone for a second. 

"Nothing." 

I finished the text, then set my phone back down on the table, and as I reached for my latte, I felt that someone was watching me. I knew exactly whose eyes were on me. I moved my eyes slowly across the table up her arms, to finally, my eyes met her disapproving gaze. Blakely's lips were pressed together, her eyes narrow with a crease between them. It was a look that read...Are you out of your damn mind? I know this because I got this look a lot here lately. 

"I'll be right back." Gavin got up." 

I watched Gavin walk over to the counter and out of hearing range. "What?" I whispered, leaning over the table. 

Blakely's eyebrows shot up. "What do you mean what? He wanted to take you out tonight, and you invited him over for dinner while your parents were home. How clueless can you be?" 

"Oh, yeah..." I sat back in my chair. 

"Oh yeah..." She repeated in a mocking tone, shaking her head at me. 

"Are you two ready to leave?" Gavin asked, walking up. 

"Yeah, I've got to get home before my mom texts me again asking me if I'll be home in time, family time." Blakely rolled her eyes. "Heaven forbid if I'm a few minutes late for family time. Watch, he won't even be there again tonight for it, but it's a Greek tragedy if I'm late for it." 

"He missed it again?" I asked, getting up from my chair. 

"Yeah." 

"What are we talking about?" Gavin asked, looking so lost in our conversation. 

I told him that Blakely's dad was a Cardiovascular surgeon who insisted on having "Family time" whenever he was off because he didn't get to spend much time with his family. Well, he was rather strict on it with Blakely and her siblings, but not himself. So even if he couldn't make it because of work, they still weren't allowed to go and do things with their friends. Gavin didn't believe us at first and thought we were making shit up until Blakely pulled out her phone and showed him the texts between her and her mom. He agreed that it was a little messed up and apologized for not believing her. He got her back to her car quickly so her mom wouldn't blow her phone up again, asking where she was or when she would be home. I told Blakely to text me later if she was able to get to her phone without being yelled at for it; if not, I'd see her tomorrow. She quickly jumped into her car and sped off toward the road. 

"Are you ready to head to the house?" I asked Gavin. 

"Sure." He said. 

"You don't have to come over if you don't want to? I said, getting out of his car. 

"Chelsi, I want to come over." He smiled. 

I unlocked my car, got in, and headed toward the road. It would take about twenty minutes to get to the house, which was enough time to have a mini-meltdown here in the car. I completely forgot that Gavin wanted to take me out, or maybe I did this on purpose so he wouldn't be able to take me out. Blakely was crazy for thinking that Gavin was interested in me. He could have any girl in the school. He was crazy hot. 

I pulled into the driveway, and Gavin pulled in front of the house. He was out of the car and walking up to mine by the time I had gotten my stuff together to get out. 

"The house still looks the same," he said. 

"Yeah. The inside is a little different," I said as we walked up the sidewalk. "Mom, we're here." I hollered as I opened the front door. 

"We're in the kitchen!" She hollered back. 

I led the way through the living room to the kitchen. Mom was behind the island, and it was nice to see her standing back there instead of shoving a casserole in the oven and running out the door with Dad. She was making Spaghetti and meatballs—one of my favorites. 

"Gavin!" Mom walked around the island to hug him. 

"Hi, Mrs. Brock. Thanks for letting me come over for dinner." 

"It's been so long. How's your mom? I'd love to see her soon." Mom walked back around the island to the stove. 

"She's good. I know she'd love to see you too. But, unfortunately, Dad's been dragging her off to business dinners and whatnot." 

"I know her pain." She laughed. "Dinner won't be ready for another forty-five minutes," Mom said. 

We left Mom to cook and went back to the living room to talk in peace so she wouldn't be eavesdropping. I didn't want her to know about Easton and the whole mess at school. She'd be asking me why I felt the need to ask Easton to help me get rid of Aaron in the first place,e and so on. So now, I had to devise a plan to get rid of Easton. How in the hell did I get myself into this mess? The bigger question was, how would I get myself out of it? 

We sat down on the couch, and I turned on the TV for the noise instead of actually watching. I couldn't help but notice how close Gavin was sitting next to me, and in that second, what Blakely said to me earlier in the day popped into my head. 

Author's Note:

Chelsi is up to something. What do you think it could be?

If you like this chapter, let me know in the comments and votes! Thanks! A.L.