Chapter 14

I sat there at my vanity, making sure my hair and makeup were perfect, but not too perfect. I didn't want anyone to suspect anything. I grabbed my bookbag and phone and headed downstairs.

Sam was sitting at the island while Mom was on the other side, cutting up fruit. I set my things down on the floor beside the stool, hopping up to eat some breakfast.

"Good morning, Chelsi. You look pretty today," Mom said, sliding the bowl over in my direction.

"Morning, Mom. Thank you. Is it too much?" I asked, looking down at my floral print waist chiffon top, white pants, and sandals.

"It's perfect. He's cute." She winked, turning to put the fruit back in the refrigerator.

"Who's cute?" I tried, playing dumb. I knew exactly who she was talking about.

"Your friend that was here yesterday." She smiled, picking up her coffee mug.

"You mean Easton? He's just a friend. He's been seen with Savannah Cho a lot lately." I peeked up at her.

"Savannah Cho? The snobby cheerleader?" Mom wrinkled up her nose. "I don't think she's all that pretty. Her family thinks they are better than everyone else when in fact, they aren't."

"Wow, Mom," Sam said wide-eyed.

"What?" She laughed.

I looked down at my smartwatch, saw the time, slid off the stool, and thanked Mom for breakfast. I tugged on Sam's arm to get her moving out the door with me. We got to the foyer, and she took off, running upstairs to her room. I yelled after her that we didn't have time for her to play; I forgot this or that. I cried one last time, threatening to leave her ass at home and she could have Mom take her to school.

She walked out of her room, telling me to calm my ass down. I quickly reminded her that I didn't have to take her to school or bring her home. I could start going out with my friends after school and have Mom pick her up from now on.

We arrived at school fifteen minutes later, parking next to Blakely. She was still in her car, looking down at her phone. Her springy curls were hiding part of her face. So, I knew she didn't see us pull up beside her. I got out of the car, slamming my door shut, hoping the loud bang would catch her attention. And nothing. I walked around the front of the car slowly, hoping she would raise her head. I rounded the left headlight when she finally peeked up from her phone. She waved, smiling. I opened the driver-side door for her, offering to take something from her to hold while she got out.

"You look great, Chelsi." She said, closing her car door.

"You don't think it's too much?" I looked over at her, then down at my clothes.

"No. It's about time you start dressing up a little more for school."She said, getting her stuff out of the back.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I said, glaring at the back of her head.

"I didn't mean anything by it, Chelsi. I'm sorry." She closed the back door, then wrapped her arm around mine. Avery met up with us right as we were about to walk through the doors.

"What are you both doing today after school?" Avery asked, looking up from her phone.

Blakely and I both looked at each other, not saying a word. We hadn't heard from Avery since the party, and she wanted to know what we were doing today. I caught Blakely rolling her eyes at one point. I didn't blame her either. Avery was our best friend, but lately, she tended to push us aside for her other friends.

"I'll probably have to run Sam home after school and get dinner in the oven. I'm sure our parents will be gone again tonight. Why? What's going on later?" I asked, leaning forward.

"Nothing, now." She mumbled, taking her eyes off her phone for a brief second. She was gone before we could say anything else to her.

"Seriously, why are we still friends with her?" Blakely grumbled, flinging the door open for us.

I wasn't about to explain that one to her because I didn't have a good enough answer that would satisfy her. I knew she was tired of how Avery had been treating us since summer, making plans, then backing out at the last minute to hang out with her other friends.

Easton was sitting at his desk, talking to Dylan Mitchell. My eyes narrowed as I walked past them on the way back to my desk. Blakely shot me a quick look as she slid down into her chair. All I could do was shrug my shoulders back at her in confusion. Dylan had been friends with Aaron since we were in grade school, and I'm sure he knew that Easton and Aaron didn't like each other. I made a mental note to be sure and ask Easton later about Dylan.

I got my books out of my bookbag, placing my phone close to my books long enough to set my bag on the floor. The minute I laid my phone in my lap, it vibrated, letting me know I had a notification. I made sure Mr. Scott wasn't walking in the room yet, then quickly slid my screen open to find a text from Easton. He let me know that he would see me at lunch. I went to send something back to him when Mr. Scott walked into the room, telling us to open our books to page forty-five. I started to open my book when my phone vibrated in my lap again. I waited until Mr. Scott began writing on the board before swiping my screen open and found a text from Blakely. I looked over at her, puzzled as to why she would text me instead of just telling me. She glanced forward, then pointed over to my phone. Again, I peered ahead to make sure Mr. Scott was still writing information on the board and talking about today's lesson.

My eyes widened as I read the message, then I quickly glanced over at Blakely, who was sitting there smiling, shaking her head yes. She looked past me, then leaned back in her seat, motioning her eyes over at Easton. 

"Miss Brock, do you know what the main character of a story is called?" Mr. Scott asked, raising his voice, which let me know he caught us not paying attention.

"The protagonist," I said, glancing over toward Easton, who was staring in my direction again. Then, I turned back toward Mr. Scott, who seemed annoyed that I could answer the question even though he caught Blakely and me talking.

Blakely told me she would see me at lunch as she hurried out of the room to her next class. I finished putting my things in my bag when I looked down, noticing a pair of black Vans next to my chair.

"Hi, Chelsi," Aaron said.

"What the hell do you want, Aaron?" I snapped, cramming my book into my bag.

"I was wondering if we could talk later at lunch?"

"Chelsi, you ready to go?" Easton said, walking up behind Aaron.

I paused, trying to figure out what he was talking about. "Yeah..."

"Here, let me take your bag for you," he said, extending his hand out.

I handed him my bag, stepping around Aaron as his eyes shifted rapidly between Easton and me.

"Chelsi, will I see you at lunch?" Aaron asked.

"Aaron, she's with me now," Easton said, turning around, glaring back at him. Easton took a couple more steps, closing the gap between him and Aaron.

"Easton, let's go before we're late for our next classes," I said, tugging on his arm.

Author's Notes:

Things are starting to get interesting between Chelsi and Easton. 

If you like this chapter, please consider giving it a vote. Thanks! A.L.