Two

¹   In one moment, you were in Bowser's castle, empty, almost desolate, everyone stolen right from their spots—to now back outside your father, Merlon's, house. Tippi had teleported you and your friend, Mario. That was the only reasonable explanation, considering how you'd gone from there to here within a matter of seconds. As you went to knock on the door, still processing everything that had all happened in such a seemingly short span of time, you noticed him standing just off to the side of the house, talking with Tippi and Mario.

²   You walked over to the three, but not too close, listening in on the conversation from a spot where you were just barely obscured from their line of sight by the house's structure. What were they talking about? You could barely hear them, considering they were whispering very quietly.

³   You tried to lean closer, and as soon as you could just barely start to make out what they were saying, they stopped talking. Uh-oh. You slowly turned your head toward that direction to look at them, and you saw Merlon and Mario looking at you. Tippi was resting on top of Mario's hat, but you can only assume she, too, was looking at you. You chuckled nervously, pushing yourself off of the house, looking away awkwardly as you slid your hands into the pockets of your pants. Merlon shook his head.

⁴   "[Y/N], it is best you do not listen in. It is for your own good, to keep you safe. These are serious matters, and you are still but a chil--" though, before Merlon could finish, you protested. "Father, I'm nearly eighteen! I am nearly an adult by all consideration! Not to consider how fast I've had to mature because of all this prophecy nonsense being dumped on me since I was a kid, paired with the dooming knowledge of the 'end of the world'. Well the end of the world CLEARLY is happening, and I'm not going to sit idly by while this happens. You know what? FINE. I'll go." You hissed, storming off before anyone could respond. You hadn't even cared to turn back and gauge their reactions. You didn't care. You were pissed off and wanted to clear your head.

⁵   You decided you wouldn't go home, exactly. You wanted some fresh air after everything that had happened. The castle, the princess, the koopas, Bowser.. Ugh. Then your father treating you like a child when you were nearly an adult; you knew you deserved to feel better. So you would go to your aunt Merlee's house. She always knew how to make you feel better, and her strange dino-dog things loved you. You could never for the life of you remember what they were called. Gnaws? Something like that. You could only imagine—sarcasm, of course—why they would be called that.

⁶   Merlee's mansion was only slightly closer than the Mushroom Kingdom, granted the kingdom was tens of miles away. The mansion was only slightly closer. Okay, so maybe it was magnitudes closer, but take it with a pinch of salt, considering that wasn't a very high threshold to reach. Hell, anything was probably closer than that. But alas.

⁷   After what was not nearly as long of a walk as before—but of course, your legs were still tired from the time you already spent walking to Peach's castle—you arrived at the lavish living space. You knocked on the intricately designed door, and you heard booming barks that traveled with such force they could have moved mountains. Ah, of course. The Gnaws. You waited patiently, standing on the porch, before you heard a woman's voice from inside, shooing away the pets. The door opened, and you were met with your favorite family member, your aunt. "Hello aunt Merlee. How have you been?" You asked. She seemed alarmed to see you, but beckoned you in.

⁸   "Oh dear me, [Y/N], please come in! Don't want my lovelies getting out. I've been great! Never better. How have you been, dearest?" She asked, shutting the door behind you as you came inside. You smiled, neatening up your hair. "I've been well, thank you. Just a bit stressed as of lately. The world is apparently reaching the beginning of the end, haven't you heard? And I guess father has stressed me out more as well, considering.. Stuff that's happened." You explained. Merlee nodded.