Chapter 12: Meeting Charles Lee

A/N: Trigger Warning for Charles Lee saying a racist word but he does get slapped for it. Nicolette goes temporarily deaf when he says it, but she knows what it is, and doesn't repeat what it was in her narration.

But warning just to be safe. The rest of the chapter is vital to the plot, but you are welcome to skip the couple of paragraphs if you so wish.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Across the market, there seemed to be a disturbance, large enough to call some blue-coated guards.

"Be still you will do no more harm." Says one voice, which I automatically recognized.

"Connor! Get down." I gasped, grabbing James's arm and hauling him down behind some crates.

If Connor had Hickey cornered, we needed to stay hidden in case he needed backup, so we'd have surprise on our side.

Connor had Hickey by the collar and pinned to the side of a building.

"You're a right fool, meddlin' in affairs you know notin' about." Hickey growled.

"Washington's the only thing keeping the Continental Army together. You kill him, you end all hope of freedom."

"Wrong boy-o, with him gone, they'll have no choice but to promote Lee, and then -"

"You are both under arrest!" A guard yelled, finally getting across the market to their disturbance.

He hauled Connor off of Hickey and held both of them by their jackets.

"We were just having a scrap, Officer. Ain't nothin' wrong with two men solvin' their differences the old fashioned way. Can't we come to - " Hickey quickly said, but was cut off by one of the other guards. By now there were three guards in total.

"What are the charges?" Connor asked calmly.

"Counterfeiting!" The guard replied.

"I had nothing to do with that."

"Course you did." The guard retorted.

"Listen, there is more important things at stake! This man-"

Wack!

Someone clocked Connor in the head, sending him to the cobblestone street.

I was ready to rescue him, but a lot of good it would do if I too got arrested.

"Oh fuck, oh fuck, oh fuck." Was all I could choke out. I dug my nails into the wooden crate.

Counterfeit money swirled away in the wind.

"What are we gonna do?" James whispered, his face marked with worry.

"We wait a little bit. Then I'll check out where he's being held. Then we'll figure it out as we go."

***

James and I headed back to the Aquila. Not being connected to the Assassins, James didn't board the ship. He instead sat on a crate on the dock, going through his notebook.

I went to the Quarters Connor and I share. I locked the door behind me and drew the blinds.

Light still filtered in through the slats.

I went to the far side of the room where my desk and trunk were. My desk was orderly, but the bookshelf near the ceiling was crammed full of books.

My trunk sat on its side allowing for easy access to my clothes. I usually wear the Assassin's Robe for day-to-day wear, but right now I needed a dress.