The Business of Pleasure

AN: Does anyone here that knows how to use the cover designer want to help me? I'd love to put in a new cover but I'm terrible at photo editing.

Morning dawned bright and clear, and the sea was much smoother than it had been last night. Not that I had minded the motion of the ship, held in Will's arms and buried under our blanket. In recompense for the lack of dinner, the ship's stewards seemed keen to outdo themselves with their breakfast spread. Rashers of bacon, links of sausage, piles of eggs, bowl overflowing with fruit, all of it was up for the taking and I gladly filled my plate.

"Ah, Mr. Green! Please, join us." Evan Perry waved us over to his table, his wife huddling over a cup of tea. "My wife is still recovering from her bout of seasickness last night. I hope your better half made it through the night alright?"

"Anne is made of sterner stuff." Will gave me a smile, I tried to return it without showing the remains of the piece of bacon I had just inhaled. "Not to disparage you, Mrs. Perry."

She gave a small smile, "Oh, it is quite alright Mr. Green. I am sure you two must do a crossing several times a year, yesterday's storm must have seemed a trifle. My husband and I only make a crossing when needed."

"We do love to sail," I gave her a hopeful smile. "What business are you engaged in that keeps you in New York?"

"The business of pleasure," Mr. Perry laughed, "My father was an investor of one of the first parks on Coney Island, his shares passed down to me. As did the dividends they provide."

"I may have visited your park." I turned to him, "I once went to Coney Island years ago, with some friends. We had such a lovely time."

"I highly doubt you visited my business," He chuckled, turning back to Will. "You seemed to have your sea legs yesterday, tell me Mr. Green, what yacht club are you in back in New York? If it's not the Hudson I may have to try and steal you. We need better hands on our ship, we've lost two over the past year."

Will took a minute to finish his mouthful of eggs, "I am afraid I don't belong to any, I've simply enjoyed sailing for many years."

"Well then, when the ladies head off to tea this afternoon, I insist that you join me in the smoking room. We've got a race coming up against the Union club and I'll not see us lose again, perhaps you can give me some pointers."

I gave a little chuckle, turning back to Constance. "They do love their races, don't they."

Her face had lost its greenish cast of yesterday, and some color rose to her cheeks. "Men and races, they always seem to find themselves together. Be it horses or boats." The rest of breakfast passed along quickly enough, although by the end of it I was rather cursing the staff for their generosity. I wanted nothing more than a nap, and told Will as much when we were making our way through the ship.

"A morning nap, my dear wife you are impossible." Will tucked my arm closer, "What you need is a walk in fresh air, come along. We've almost gained the boat deck."

I whined as we came up, "Walking after breakfast, it's ungodly." But it did feel good to be out in the sun, my hat pinned to my head. Part of me fretted about being seen in the same hat as yesterday, and knowing that it would be seen again every day of the crossing, but I was proud of it. I was also proud of Will on my arm, his dove gray suit only slightly wrinkled from where it had been folded in his trunk, the chain of his watch visible through his open jacket. "Really Will, can't we go back?"

"No, I'm afraid not my dear." He chuckled, moving us along at a steady clip. "For you have to tell me everything you know about these infernal yacht clubs."

"Oh, where to begin." I rolled my eyes heavenward, praying for patience. "They are utterly boring, if you must know the truth. Simply an excuse for the men to get together and drink and smoke away from us ladies."