this is home

Abir

I watched as she slept soundlessly with a bandage wrapped around her tiny wrist and a mask covering her face allowing her to breathe.
Isn't it so inevitable? indeed it is.
She's there all the time, every single particle of her existence takes up the whole of my mind. I could write an endless book overflowing with pages just about her smile. The way she ducks her head down shyly, her beautiful grin unmistakable. And her eyes, oh God her eyes, deep and dark yet so soft with innocence.  The soft freckles dotting her face, the curves of her lips, her dark hair. Every time I look at her there's seemingly something new to mesmerize me. The pure adrenaline rush I get just thinking about her.
I don't deserve her. I looked up at her and my heart shattered for the nth time.

"You, okay?" Ansh's voice snapped me out of my thoughts and I turned my head from the angel in front of me to my idiotic best friend.

"Yeah, I guess.." No, I am not. I'm not okay. All I want is to pause this moment and apologize.  Apologize for my dick behavior. Apologize for not letting someone be close to me.
All I wanted to say is "I am sorry".

"Adriti hasn't woken up yet, I am scared," I confessed shakingly.

"It's okay Abir, the doctor had checked up on her, she'll wake up soon. The medicines are working." Apparently, Adriti had slashed her wrist. Till the time anyone saw her, she had lost a lot of blood. The entire place was covered with blood when I reached there.
The scene of her lying lifelessly on the floor with pools of blood around her clenched my heart and reminded me that It's because of you. It's because you were so much of a coward and hurt her just to keep her safe.
I didn't waste a moment and carried her in my arms as fast as I could to the hospital. The doctor who said that she wouldn't have made it if we were a bit late is lying somewhere dead. Like he should.

"Eat something Abir, it's been fifteen hours since you are sitting on this same chair beside her," Ansh said, reminding them it's been fifteen hours and Adriti hasn't yet opened her eyes.

"I don't want to, I am not hungry."

"Well, Abir things won't get solved if you run away from them. I said it yesterday, I say it today. You can't run away from situations, especially when it's something related to your heart, to the person you love and if you do, you'll keep on regretting."
Sometimes I wished, I could go back and fix things that I regret, just like The Midnight library... I wish, I could go back and relive the moments I regret and redo them. But I can't, there's no book of regressions, no such things.

"I know.... Ansh, I know.." I looked down at my hands which had some dried blood on them.
Suddenly I heard something shift beside me. Seems like Adriti is mumbling something. I got up with a jerk and ran to fetch water not before screaming with panic at Ansh to call the doctor.
I tried to help Adriti sit, but she flinched as I touched her making me once again fall into the ocean of regrets.
We're back at square one.

"D-don't touch me-me" her voice sounded dry and tired. These words were enough to strike a pain in my chest and the words echo in my ears
Don't touch me

"Adriti, w-water" My voice stuttered as I passed her a glass of water. As my palm touched hers, she flinched again.

"Don't come near me. Don't", she said making a weird sensation in my heart.

"Adriti, how are you?" Ansh said and sat near her. Maybe right now, I should leave.

"I am okay." Adriti muttered

"Why? Why did you do that to yourself?" Ansh said in a concerned tone and signaled me to leave the room for now. As I walked out, Adriti glanced at me and looked away when I stare at her back.

"I don't want to be here. I don't want to be near Abir." Adriti said as a tear threatened to fall my eyes.

she doesn't want me to be near her.

"I got to know what happened. I am- I am sorry, he didn't mean it in that way. I know him for years, he's just worried... Worried about you." That was the last thing I heard before walking away outside.
My heart swelled with the pain I can't describe. I leaned on the wall as my phone rang.

"Hello?"

"Well.... Got to know your girl isn't doing well" my breath hitched with anger as He spoke. Joey

"What the hell do you want?" I tried to keep my voice as steady as I could. My knuckles turned white as I gripped the pole beside me with anger.

"Calm down Loverboy, calm down! Looks like that little pretty woman has you wrapped around her fingers." He laughed as he spoke

"If you have called up for this, I am hanging up."

"Sure, loverboy you will see" he laughed once again and hanged up.
Something was definitely suspicious. Before I had the time to think anything else I heard gunshots going on.

I ran inside the hospital for nothing but Her.

I could hear Ansh calling more of my men to be here already. I hurried and went up to Adriti who had a very scared expression covering her face.

"Adriti-" I was shut off by a gunshot that flew from the window glass shattering it into pieces. I slid the gun from my waist and started shooting it towards outside while my body covered Adriti's from any such movement.

The gunshots slowed down indicating that my men had captured those motherfuckers.
I lifted my hands to Adriti's face and placed them on her cheeks. She closed her eyes as she felt my touch.

"I'll never leave you. Never again, I promise." I said as I lean my forehead against hers. This is home

❦︎

Vote and comment <3
I swear, I'll update more frequently, plus- for all the people who had commented that they needed to read this book once more to understand the new update. Same bestie same 😭 I had to reread Sold for about three times.