Scene Six

{MOM ALONE IN THE TABLE, IN THE MORNING. PAUL DISCOVERS A SECRET ABOUT HIS SICK MOM, AND DEMAND ANSWERS FROM HIS MOTHER.}

Miss Pale : He's growing up too fast, God please bless my son and help him achieve his goals before I pass away, for I'm very sick.

Paul : What?

Miss Pale : Paul. How long have you been standing there?

Paul : As long as I could to hear you saying that you are sick. {TEARS FALLING ON HIS FACE.}

Miss Pale : I'm sorry you had to hear that.

Paul : How long?

Miss Pale : What?

Paul : How long have you been sick?

Miss Pale : Ever since you were born.

Paul : So this means I'm th....

Miss Pale : No. It's not your reason I'm sick.

Paul : It is. If I was never born you wouldn't be sick.

Miss Pale : Don't say that.

Paul : Why? We both know that's true.

Miss Pale : No. It's not.

Paul : {RUNS AND LOCK HIMSELF IN HIS BEDROOM.}

Miss Pale : {LOOK AT THE TABLE AS SHE CRIES.}

Mr Khumalo : {RUSHES IN.} What's going on here?

Miss Pale : I failed my son.

Mr Khumalo : Don't talk like that. Where's Paul?

Miss Pale : In his bedroom, I guess.

Mr Khumalo : {GO TO PAUL, AND KNOCK AT HIS DOOR.} Hey Paul. It's me, Mr Khumalo. Please open the door.

Paul : Go away.

Mr Khumalo : You can't lock yourself forever. You gonna have to come out of there sooner or later, and you will have to talk to your mother about what's upsetting.

Paul : There's nothing to talk about.

Mr Khumalo : That's just your mind playing games. There is a lot to talk about and a lot to be fixed.

Paul : {KEEP QUITE.}

Mr Khumalo : Open the door, so that we can talk. And you still have to go to school.

Paul : I'm not opening this door and there's nowhere I'm going.

Miss Pale : I destroyed my child's future.

Mr Khumalo : You can't blame yourself for that.

Miss Pale : I did.

Mr Khumalo : Paul. Remember what you promised Sindi last night. You said you will see her at school today. Do you really want to disappoint her.

Paul : I'm so sorry Sindi. {SPEAKING TO HIMSELF.} She will understand. {HE SHOUT.}

Mr Khumalo : But she will still be disappointed.

Paul : My word is final, I'm not going anywhere.

Mr Khumalo : Let's just give him some space. I'm sure he will cool down. I have to go to work, before it's too late.

Miss Pale : But...

Mr Khumalo : Please give him some time. He'll come around when he's processing everything.

{9:01 IN MR KHUMALO'S CLASS.}

Mr Khumalo : Morning class.

Learners : Good morning Sir.