Chapter 4

chapter 4

Chihiro never thought that returning to the Spirit World would be such a ... spectacle.

Mrs. Ogino cried (as if it was the goodbye), and reminded Chihiro for the umpteenth time not to do anything foolish least she got a cold "with her Immune disorder." Chihiro never blamed her parents for being overprotective of her, but she did think that it was crossing the line when Mr. Ogino began insisting that she took his heavy, warm coat with her.

Chihiro barely convinced her father that she wouldn't need his coat, because the weather in the Spirit World is warm this time of year.

Finally, after promises and reassurances, Haku and Chihiro left. The walk to the border was silent but full of vivid emotions. Memory after memory resurfaced Chihiro's mind. She could clearly see it all in her head: her father taking the road down the woods, mistaking it for the short cut; how her father, despite her protests, convinced her mother and the three of them went inside the dark tunnel; how they, yet again, didn't listen to her and ate the food meant for the spirits...

"We're here."

Chihiro was surprised that she was so wrapped up in her thoughts, that she didn't even notice that they arrived at their destination; but the surprise melted away when she saw the field of green, a dried up river, and the small town beyond it. "It feels wonderful ... being back," she whispered, still taken with the beauty of the scenery.

Haku chuckled. "I never thought you'd actually want to go back. Your parents were turned into pigs here!"

Chihiro shook her head, smiling faintly. "I made very good friends here, Haku! I met Lin, Kamaji, Granny ... and you." Her blush turned a shade darker. "I don't have anything good related to the pig pens, for example. I have good related to this place, to the bathhouse." She sighed sadly.

"Is ... something wrong?" Haku asked, confused. Why would Chihiro sigh like that when she said, a mere moment ago, that it felt wonderful to be back?

"I just guess that you don't have anything good related to this place. You were Yubaba's biggest slave," she replied sadly.

"I was," he admitted, "but something good did happen to me. It was you."

Chihiro's cheeks burned a scarlet red as she avoided Haku's gaze as if her life depended on it. "M-m-me?" she stuttered, confused and shy.

A faint, barely pink blush covered over Haku's cheeks; but he ignored it completely. "Of course." He grasped Chihiro's hand and tugged. "Let's get going. I bet Lin and the others will be beside themselves with joy to see you."

Chihiro smiled. "Let's go," she agreed. The two walked quietly over the field, over the dried up river, and down the streets of the town that was full of aroma and tasty delicacies. Walking carefully over the bridge, they went through a small gate and came to the bathhouse; with the long, dangerous stairs at the side of it. The unkind memory of the stairs resurfaced, and Chihiro shuddered.

"It's fine. I'm here," Haku reminded her.

It wasn't the first time that Haku made Chihiro feel secure, protected, and confident. Nodding, she carefully descended the stairs with Haku at her side. This time, she didn't trip.

Either everything was perfect timing, or the whole thing took much longer than Chihiro thought it did, but the night began to fall. By the time the two reached the bottom of the stairs, it was dark completely. Loud hisses came from the boiler room - followed by a yell to "began working immediately."

Chihiro's hands shook with euphoric excitement as she put her palms on the cold surface of the door and pushed it open. A wave of familiar heat rushed out of the boiler room. Breathing in the welcoming heat, the two stepped inside.