Chapter 25

Minor character death and some violence, at the end. Be cautious if you skipped the violence in the last chapter.

No-Face cast a brisk glance out the window. It was a calm, beautiful night, with little flurries of snow cascading from the snowy gray sky. Shimmering icicles hung from slender branches, and the alabaster plains sparkled like a field of diamonds beneath the moonlight. It reminded No-Face of one of those painted winter nights, serene and hauntingly beautiful, as if standing in the middle of that snowy field would either bring you to safety or adventure, and you'd have to go there to actually discern that answer.

No-Face reminded himself primly that the snow wasn't ordinary snow and that the cold outside wasn't the ordinary, much-awaited cold of winter. It was all a byproduct of the Dark Spirit's freedom. A wave of nostalgia swept over him.

No-Face shook his head slightly. Don't give up. Sire Daisuke brought hope with him. The Lady had hope. Haku had hope. Lin and Kamaji had hope, and Chihiro had hope, too. They all envisaged a clear, bright future, and if so many strong-willed persons believed, then there must really be hope in this dire situation.

After all of this is over, No-Face thought with forced brightness, I may have a chance to go and find out more about myself and my family. Zeniba did say once that it's possible that I wasn't always a no-face.

No-Face set the kettle to boil and sprinkled one of Zeniba's homemade teas, withered green leaves with vanilla and cinnamon, into the bottom of a large, empty ceramic cup. The tea smelled heavenly without the aid of steaming water, and an appreciative smile flashed across the shadowy spirit's face before it straightened itself to his typical neutral expression.

The kettle hissed shortly, and No-Face removed it from the burner and poured a generous amount of water into the cup. The tea's scent strengthen deliciously as he lifted the cup, apparently immune to the radiating heat as he pressed his palm against a hot ceramic side, and idly admired the gracious view from a cushioned windowsill.

Ever since Zeniba left for the Imperial Palace four days ago, No-Face was left to be the protector of the house. He hid it behind his usual meek demeanor, but he was initially displeased that not only such a responsibility was forced upon him without his consent but also because Zeniba didn't even offer to show him the Imperial Palace, not even from some distance. But he soon realized that he was being flat-down unreasonable: Zeniba was now a trusted adviser of the queen, and such a critical time was no time for luxuries. Besides, leaving a witch's house unattended was a fatal move. With everything from weathered books to pristine potions hidden practically in every corner of the dwelling, the house was a chest filled with exotic treasures inside.

And No-Face was the protector of those treasures.

No-Face was certain that the days following Zeniba's leave would be horrendous for the most part, with numerous attacks to spirit away a magical antidote or, say, a valuable manuscript. He was relieved, though, that Zeniba took the platinum seal with her to the Imperial Palace so its presence no longer endangered the place with its presence. (The platinum seal was a recent invention made by Sire Daisuke which was ten times as powerful as the gold seal - it was made for the sole purpose of causing the drift between worlds that would pull the Dark Spirit into a parallel plane). He was certain that the house would be burned to the ground by now if Zeniba didn't take the platinum seal with him. However, except for a skirmish with a mischievous swamp sprite, everything so far was peaceful. He was beginning to hope that there will be no real attacks, because despite his monstrous origin he wasn't sure how much he could protect without turning into a monster himself.

Hours passed swiftly, and before long the sky was lightening up with the first signs of morning as stars twinkled out of existence. The first rays of sunshine broke through the canopy of pine and naked trees, slowly gifting the world with its shiny golden tint that would increase tenfold in a matter of a few hours.