Chapter 14

"Our world is going through the most difficult times we ever had," the Lady said, sitting down on a couch with folded hands. "From what I have learned, the Dark Spirit is actually more powerful than it was a millennium ago and we do not have our Lord to help and guide us. I am wonderfully blessed to have my son back, of course. But, as happy as I am, I'm very sad to have gained my son in such a time when I am about to lose him to war. The Dark Spirit is an evil, merciless, and extremely powerful creation that is practically impossible for one to fully comprehend and if my son steps out there on war, without a single back-up plan, he's in grave danger."

Chihiro swallowed softly, the spark of terror in her eyes growing.

"My ambition is merely my duty: to protect this world, defeat the Dark Spirit, and later, to hand the throne down to my son," the Lady continued. "In order to achieve my ambition, I would like to assemble a team of extremely smart spirits who will be able to study the complicated creation of the Dark Spirit - and some scientific information I have - in order to defeat it. This is a challenging task, I know; but it is crucial for the good of our world. It will take some time, of course, and unfortunately I cannot wait to act."

The Lady resisted the urge to smile with triumph when Zeniba rose her hand. "Your Highness, I believe that Ican be of some help. My sister, Yubaba, is working for the Dark Spirit and she's a major help to it. I do believe that there is no way of talking my sister out of this 'service', so-to-speak, but I do have a plan in mind that can stop her."

"Mind telling me about it, Zeniba?"

The witch shook her head wholeheartedly. "I can make certain potions and liquids that, if added to some things such as spider-web, make a very powerful barrier that does not let magic pass it. The barrier is also invisible and one could walk through as walking through air! I will make this barrier around my sister's bathhouse and, whatever curses my sisters sends, will go right back to her."

The Lady smiled politely. "That would be wonderful, thank you. However, I see that the process is quite complicated. Do you need any help?"

Zeniba looked sideways at Chihiro, who shook her head reassuringly in response. "We do not need any help, thank you, Your Highness."

The Lady nodded. "All right."

"Mother, can you tell us why Chihiro is here?" Haku asked cautiously.

Chihiro looked wide-eyed at the Lady, but the spirit queen ignored her. "Indeed. Chihiro came here several days hence and did the most selfless thing I ever saw in my entire life: she offered to save our world by killing the Dark Spirit, well knowing the consequences of such actions."

Zeniba gasped loudly in horror and grabbed the human girl's arm. Chihiro burried her face in her hands, desperately trying to block out the terrified looks of her friends and to stop crying.

"Mother, that is out of the question," Haku said firmly, hand clutched into a fist.

"Rest assured, Chihiro will be safe," the Lady promised. "I admit, it did take me some time to come down to this, but Chihiro won't be killing the Dark Spirit. Since opening the portral or teleporting Chihiro to her own world will be too dangerous, I will see to it that she's safe."

"Your Majesty," Chihiro gasped at an inaudible level, looking up at the spirit queen with lips parted and eyes round as the full moon. It was then that she saw the Lady in a different light: the Lady wasn't just someone who is strikingly beautiful and has a caring side. She possessed such a big heart, that Chihiro was certain that it was bigger than the entire Spirit Realm.

"Thank you, Mother," Haku murmured, relieved.

The Lady smiled warmly with a faint nod. "Of course, son. Now, one more thing concerning Chihiro: she hasn't been feeling well lately."