Chapter 1

XX59, April 17th

Lana

This was the night before my 20th birthday. I was told that I will be engaged to the Evangelisti family as soon as I'm 20. In all honesty, I wish I can marry to a man of my choosing. But I suppose being born in a wealthy family means arranged marriage with a benefit.

My name is Lana Kohler. I'm the daughter of Charlie Kohler, richest man of the town of Evangelisti. You'd think life is a blast being rich. But let me tell you, it was not so pleasant as you'd think.

All day everyday, my life was stuffed with etiquette class, mathematics, all those different things you have to learn as a high society wealthy person. It gets boring stuck inside not being able to do anything other than classes, classes and more classes

We do own a big mansion and I do get my own time. However, not being able to leave the front door was such a hassle. I would often slip away during fancy ball and fancy parties just to get away from the people faking their friendliness. They're just doing that so they can get on my father's good side so that they can rob some money off of him.

How scandalous

I hated my life. So much. Of course I was not having none of it when my father told me that I will be marrying the son of the Evangelistis. I heard that he's a strange one.

I sat near the window of my room sighing in sadness. How I wish to be one of those children playing outside of the walls of our mansion where they don't have to worry about being proper on a daily basis and they can soil their petticoats as much as they like.

Suddenly, a knock was heard on my door.

"Come in." I said. A maid entered the room with her head bowed. On her calloused hands she held a small rectangular box with a red velvet bows wrapped around it. "It's your early birthday present from clergyman sir Evangelisti's son Marchionne Evangelisti." She explained as she placed the small delicately wrapped box atop of the table in front of me. Out of the pocket of her front apron, she produced a pink letter with my name printed in fancy font. I thanked her and opened the letter. It read:

To my fiance,

            I know we don't have a chance to meet, but I know tomorrow is your birthday and it'll be ungentlemanly of me to be empty-handed. I'm unable to celebrate your birthday with you, but I hope you'll accept the gift I have presented to you with all your heart. I wish you a wonderful birthday.

               Sincerely,
                     Marchionne Evangelisti

I reached for the box and carefully tear open the wraps. Inside lay a feathered fan. I took it out, it was very elegant and I was very pleased with it. I told the maid to thank Marchionne for me before gently ran my gloved hand along the body of the fan. Perhaps he isn't so bad after all

Marchionne

The maid came back to the door. She told me that her mistress was very pleased with the gift. I smiled happily. I heard that lady Lana's beauty was infamous and she had a lot of suiters asking for her hand of marriage. I was simply lucky to be chosen as her betrothed. It was also the first day where she became that ray of sunshine in my cloudy life.

Footsteps could be heard behind the maid. When I rose my eyes to look, I was breathless. I have heard of her beauty, but I never expected her to look so elegant and exquisite. Her long black hair was curled softly around her face, held together by a small red ribbon. She donned a rouge gown with the small white fan I had gifted to her.

"What? Cat got your tongue?" She giggled, hiding her bright smile behind the fan. Even at a time like this, she still haven't forgotten her manners. I coughed in slight embarrassment and bowed my head. "Of course not. Forgive me for my speechlessness. Your beauty is a sight to behold."

From the corner of my eye, I think I saw a hint of pink sneaking to her fair cheeks.

"Please don't be so formal with me. What brought you here?" She approached me and held my hand. Even through the thin glove, I can tell that her hands are soft like a new born infant's. As expected of someone who's never done a single housework in her life.

"I just wanted to stop by and present the gift to my future fiance myself as a way to tell you how much I'm excited to wed you." I looked in her brown eyes and explained. "I know this is my first time meeting, but care to keep me aquatinted?"

She hid behind the fan once again and nodded shyly. I took her hand and placed it on my arm before escorting her out to the balcony.

Once outside, she dropped her fan and gave a giggle the sound of bells. I stated at her in astonishment. She was so different from who she was a minute ago.

"Oh finally I can drop the act!" She exclaimed. "I apologize for surprising you so. But you know how tiring being a proper lady is."

I nodded. I can kind of relate to that. Being the heir to the Evangelisti family means you have a lot of responsibilities laid on your shoulder. She sat on one of the chairs placed on the balcony and placed her chin on her propped up hands.

"Let's get to know each other, shall we?"

I give her a chuckle. Little did she know, the moment I laid my eyes on her, I was in love with her.