Chapter 11

Flashback (yeah again) 

Norman stared ar the wall ahead. "How are they progressing?" he asked. He was aware that his voice held none of it's usual gentle Inflection. He didn't sound like the kind big brother guiding his younger siblings anymore; he was the stern general, leading his subordinates to freedom. He didn't want to be, but his siblings were depending on him to lead them to freedom. She was depending on him.

 Norman wouldn't lose to Mama, not again Not when the prince of losing had cost him Emma. "Good," Don reported from his bedside. "We started training everyone five and up and they're really coming along."

 "They were surprised at first." supplied Gilda softly. It was amazing and frightening how much she had aged in just a couple of months.

 "Probably scared too. But they believed us." Norman nodded in satisfaction. 'That's great"he said. Emma's plan was crazy. and a long-shot. but maybe just maybe- they could pull this off. 'Thank you. Don and  Gilda" Don eyed him. 

"What now?" he asked.

 "Do we tell the kids under five?" 

He hummed in response. This was the tricky part. Emma had been confident that the little ones would be able to handle that information, and Norman wanted to believe her.But Emma had always been foolishly optimistic, flinging headfirst into danger even if it meant sacrificing her. 

Like allowing herself to get shipped out-

No.

 He couldn't think of that now. Emma was gone and he couldn't change that no matter how much his heart ached for her. But his younger siblings were still here. Ray was still here and was running out of time. They all needed him. Coming from himself, the little ones were bound to believe the horrible truth about their home Emma was the Jester, the playful one Norman never lied. not until recently. 

The real issue was If they could hold their tongues In front of Mom. And then, of course"Is it even possible?"whimpered GIida Norman's attention snapped to her. and she flushed

"I-I mean- " she stammered, obviously embarrassed. "They're so small and slow. Not to mention the wall, a-and it's so cold out. And w-we don't have-"She cut herself off, turning terrified dark eyes away from him But he understood.

"We don't have Emma" he finished for her. Norman would be the first to admit that a large part of his initial all plan had depended on Emma's superior strength and speed. She could run faster and lift more than any other child here. She would  have been a huge help in transporting all of the kids. Not to mention, she would have also been another set of eyes ro look after them. Losing her had dealt a huge blow to their operation. Gilda squeezed her eyes shut behind her glasses. "I know it was Emma's dream" she whispered. "And I want to save them too. really I do,But we don't even know what's out there. They could be killed!" Norman had severely overlooked his younger sister's judgment. 

"But Gilda," protested Don "we can't leave them here They'll get shipped out'" She looked at him, helplessly. "I know that" she replied.

 "But I can't help but think that Ray may have had a point. no matter how callous it sounds. We can't save everyone. It's impossible." Norman looked all his siblings for a moment. "Gilda, you're right" he told her honestly.

 "This is a fool's wish. it always had been. Even from the start I knew that Emma was being naive." She was wonderful and he loved her. but Emma didn't think with her head, she thought with her heart. And of course, he was the lovesick fool who gave into her every desire. 

Now was no different.

He smilled. "But I will do whatever it takes to get everyone out of this house" he told them.