/////Chapter 14////

Things had been going on well. 

Norman stormed across the compound, Ray on his left and Emma on his right. Of course, he would have preferred to keep Emma away from their unwanted guests; but it didn't take the brightest mind in Grace Field to know that she wouldn't have listened. He didn't have the time or patience to argue with her. 

And she wasn't a subordinate or younger sibling. She was Emma; strong, capable, fearless Emma. He couldn't treat her as anything  less, not even when he so desperately wanted to shield her from the evils and horrors of the world. 

It was a little too late for that. 

Of course, how could he forget? He had already failed her ten years ago. She didn't need his feeble protection. She had survived on her own. Everything she had done, she had done alone. 

His Emma,emerging from the fire like a magnificent phoenix, but not without getting burned. The world they lived in was a cruel one.After all,None of them were unscathed. 

The three of them traveled to the entrance of the hideout. Glancing out of the corner of his eye, Norman was a bit relieved to find that Ray was partially shielding Emma from view. The dark-haired man wasn't exactly hiding her, but he was keeping her away from prying eyes. 

Good.

 Norman opened the gates and there the two demons stood. He had no idea how demons were supposed to age. but the two of them looked exactly the same as they had ten years ago. Sonju was still tall and lanky, Mujika was still small and delicate. Both of them still covered the top half of their faces.

 Norman straightened, schooling his features. "Mujika." he acknowledged, intentionally greeting her first. Out of the two of them, the female demon was the one he never really saw as dangerous. 

She wasn't physically strong, perhaps wise, but didn't constantly strategize or put on airs like him and Ray. She was genuine, sincerely wanting to help. 

Still, while he didn't think she could or would hurt anyone. That didn't mean she wasn't a threat. 

Given her history.

 It was best for them to stay on relatively good terms with her. Sonju on the other hand was a completely different story. Norman liked to think that of all his talents, he could read people exceptionally well. He liked to think he could deciphering the intentions of those around him. It was how he had outsmarted Isabella all those years ago, after all. How he had saved Ray from himself. That was how he stayed ahead of his opponents, how he had made so many strides as William Minerva. 

And Sonju sent off every warning bell in his head. It was hidden well and most may not have seen it, but Norman could feel the male demon's pure blood lust. He knew Sonju wouldn't eat anyone here--if he wanted to, he would have done it long ago· but he definitely thirsted for human blood. There was just something holding him back. Norman just wished he knew what it was. 

"Sonju"he finally addressed, albeit coldly. Mujika offered him a warm smile that made it hard to dislike her. 

"Hello, Norman. Ray."she greeted softly. Her head inclined towards Emma she gave a little frown.

 "I am sorry, I don't believe we've met." 

Norman glanced at Emma, analyzing her reaction. Ray had told her that Sonju and Mujika were demons they had an 'alliance' with on the way here. She hadn't said anything and he hated that he had no idea what she was thinking.

 Even now as she studied the two demons in front of her, he couldn't read her thoughts like he used to. He hated it. He felt terrible for it but he missed the way she used to be. So carefree and so open. Now she was so distant, so reserved. He wished he could make her feel better. he wished he could make her happy. But she broke out into that smile he adored so much.