13

•Lily's POV•

We reach a clearing in the woods and stop for a rest break.

"It sure is hot for March," I say, panting.

"April, actually. Today's April 1st."

"Oh, that's right." I didn't realize that til now. But that would explain all the mean pranks people were pulling on the teachers this morning...

"Have you ever done an April Fools prank?" I ask him.

"Yeah, of course. Hasn't everyone?"

"Well I-"

"This one time in 4th grade, me and my friend Danny glued all the teacher's supplies to her desk. She demanded that whoever did it turn themselves in to the principal but we weren't about to confess. It was classic! A great prank, for a couple of 4th-graders. Beginners, we were."

"So you've pranked a lot of teachers?"

"Well duh. It's fun. Plus the whole school thinks highly of you when you come up with a good one."

Sure...the whole school, I think to myself sarcastically. But I'd never say something bad about him to his face.

We sit down on a park bench to rest our legs. I don't know why we didn't do this earlier. It feels so nice. While I'm thinking this, I feel him scoot closer to me and then his arm is stretched across my shoulders. I can hardly breathe and my heart is pounding so loud I'm sure he can hear it.

"You know, you're really cool," he whispers in my ear. His breath tickles my cheek and I blush.

"Thanks," I say, totally flustered and nervous.

He leans closer to me and tilts my chin as if he's going to kiss me. OMG, is this really it?! Is Ben, the boy of my dreams, going to kiss me?!?!?!