Chapter 5

You three were falling. Sinbad held Marina as you three braced yourself as you were about to crash land on the sands. But you noticed that didn't happen, you opened your eyes to find yourselves floating in midair. You made a gentle landing and looked around the eternal desert.

You, Sinbad, and Marina noticed that the sands were moving all of the sudden. You made a quick tumble and then you avoided the broken ship. Third was the statues of the soldiers emerging from the sands. Confused of what's happening, Sinbad helped you and Marina get up as you three noticed the ruins appearing before you.

You heard a sudden stomp and noticed monsters appearing from the stars surrounding you. Sinbad took out his dual swords and gave one of them to you. You both prepared to fight the mysterious monsters.

When suddenly...

"Now, now, my pets. Is this how you treat a guest?"

You gasped as you recognized that voice as you watched the monsters trapped inside the sand tornado. Your sword and Sinbad's suddenly flew away from your hands as well. And then, you all found yourselves in the ruins of the palace. You stared at the throne with the skeleton that resembled a king.

"Okay, I'm severely creeped out." he said.

Unlike Sinbad, you stood still as you tried to be cautious. Who knows what happens next when you knew that Eris was expecting you along with your friends.

You noticed a silhouette came to your view as the God of Chaos appeared before you, applauding.

"Bravo. No mortal has ever made it to Tartarus before. That is... if they're alive." he chuckled darkly as he disapepared and reappeared, sitting on the throne the corpse king was sitting on. His arm was resting on the arm rest while his hand held his chin. "Make yourself at home."

You stood silent as Sinbad said, "Thank you. Uh..." He then stared at the ruins and began to compliment, "Nice place you got here."

"Like it?" He then stood up as he walked towards you three. "I'm planning on doing on the whole world this way."

"Wow. That's the good plan," replied Sinbad. "Well, I see you're busy, so listen, we'll just take the Book of Peace and get out of your way."

He chuckled and asked, "What makes you think I have it?"

"Uh, well, you framed (Y/n) for the theft, so they would execute her."

Eris silently stared at Sinbad as he replied, "Her?"

"Yeah." Sinbad answered as if it was obvious.

You then noticed something wasn't right. You stared at the throne and wondered if this place was the future location of Syracuse.

"Sinbad... Tell me, what happens to Syracuse itself if the current heir fails to become king?" You asked.

Sinbad then stared at you in confusion and later looked at Eris, his look on his knowing face.

He began to realize and said, "No. Proteus! You knew he would take (Y/n)'s place."

Eris chuckled as he traced his finger on the pillar, making cracks along the way.

"My, a clever little man you are." he stated.

"You thought I would run away and Prince Proteus would die at the same time. If he dies in my place, then he won't become the rightful next king of Syracuse." You stated as you glared at Eris.

"That's right. Without the future king, that kingdom would tumble into glorious chaos," Eris finished your explanation as the ruins began to crumble. "You humans are so predictable. Proteus couldn't help being ever so noble and you, Sinbad, couldn't help betraying him."

"But Sinbad didn't betray Proteus, he didn't run away." You exclaimed.

"But he did betray him, dear (Y/n). He only stole the prince's love."

"Marina..." You realized that Sinbad had feelings for Proteus's fiancee.

"That's right," agreed Eris. He then shoved Marina at Sinbad. "Look at her, Sinbad. He's not even in his grave yet, and you're moving in on his girl. Face it, Sinbad. You're just like me, your heart is black as mine."

Sinbad glared at you and Marina began to disagree as she said, "You're wrong about him!"

"(Y/n) knows I'm not." Eris pointed it out, making you get yourself involved.

"You don't know what's in his heart."

"That's true, but I do know what's in (Y/n)'s heart. And so does she." Eris then walked towards you and explained to Sinbad and Marina, "In her heart, she knows that Proteus is going to die because he saw something in her that just isn't there."

As he explained about your heart, he then caressed your cheek as you backed away from him.

"No." You refused to believe it.

"You wanna bet? Tell you what, let's play a game. If you win, I'll give you the Book of Peace." Eris then used his powers to show you all the Book of Peace, floating in the air before you.

With that, you realized that you have to cross all the way to retrieve the book.

You began to walk across the floating floor, but you almost tumbled as you stared at the piece of the said floor falling into the deep void.

"Not so fast. My game has rules, my dear," Eris then confronted you as he held your chin, making you stare at him. "You have to answer my question, one simple question. If you answer honestly, then the Book is yours."

"Well then... how about you give me your word?" You suggested.

"You still don't trust me?"

"Let me think..." You gave a short moment of thought and answered, "No."

Eris sighed, "Isn't it a pity that we live in such skeptical times? Very well. You have my word as a god." He then smirked at you and asked, "Fair enough?"

"Yeah." You nodded.

You then turned to Sinbad and Marina as you nodded to the two.

Before you began to cross, Sinbad grabbed your wrist and you turned to him.

"Be careful." he said as he let your wrist go.

You silently nodded as you began to confront Eris.

"I'm ready, so fire away."

"Perfect." Eris then opened the Book of Peace and said, "Now, we all know what happens if you get the Book of Peace. You return to Syracuse and you save Proteus from death. However... if you don't get the book...  you have a choice to make. Either sail to paradise with Sinbad and the woman of his dreams while I give you your heart's desires... or you return to Syracuse to die. Either a thief or a heroine."

He then floated in the air and said, "So here's my question, (Y/n). If you don't get the Book, will you go back and accept your fate?"

Eris then vanished as he gave you the question of your choice. You began to take a moment of thinking and then stared at Sinbad and Marina.

They watched you with anticipation yet concerns if you choose the wrong answer.

You stared at the glowing book and you began to walk towards it. You stopped before the book and you took a deep breath.

"I... I'm going back." You answered.

With that, you extended your hand towards the book, but the book vanished. You were shocked to see Eris as he roughly gripped your wrists.

"You're lying." he said as he smirked at you.

And then... Eris suddenly pushed you off from the floating cliff.

"(Y/n)!" Sinbad shouted.

While you were sent to the deep void, the ground began to collaspe, sending Sinbad and Marina as well.

Eris appeared before all of you falling down, sneering down at you. As he watched you falling into the deep void, he gave a wicked laugh and disappeared before your (e/c) eyes.

You failed to obtain the Book of Peace and you gave the incorrect answer.