Chapter 6

Without even looking at him, Jeremiah could sense the tension in the boy sitting beside him as they rolled towards the entrance of the ranch a short time later. 

The boy sat perfectly still, eyes straight ahead, lips pressed together, feet flat on the board where they were meant to be. His hands lay palm down on his thighs. The fingers fanned open, his fingertips were slightly pressing down into the large muscles of his upper legs. The boy reminded him of a rabbit sitting up, frozen to the spot in the long grass, sniffing the air for predators, ears propped up, listening intently, alert and ready to run at the drop of a hat. Jeremiah imagined the boy's little heart racing in his chest.

As they arrived in the small yard of Walls' ranch, one child after another and then the mother carrying a tod made an appearance on the porch. Walls had sent his son galloping ahead to give his wife a fair warning once they had helped Jeremiah hitch his horses back up to his wagon.

It was a warm welcome they received, kind smiles and bright eyes. Three of the older children, a girl in her early teens, and two boys in and around the same age as John slowly walked over to them. They greeted their father warmly, although the boys' seemed to somewhat sheepishly avoid their father's gaze.

"Children look after the horses. Mr Johnston and this boy are our guests," Walls instructed them as he dismounted his own horse, but the children seemed to have known that this was expected of them even before their father had spoken, as they had taken hold of the horses by their bridles right away.

The younger children, two little girls, maybe between five and eight years old, at first had remained with their mother on the porch, but as soon as their father's boots hit the ground, they enthusiastically came running at him, jumping into his arms and he gave them an affectionate swing around.

The mother carrying the youngest, a little boy with curly brown hair and chubby red cheeks then slowly walked over to them. A big smile in her face she greeted her husband with a kiss to the cheek. The father immediately relieved his wife of the boy and playfully held him up in the air, before bringing their faces together for an Eskimos' kiss which made the little boy giggle in delight.

It was a heart-warming scene that reminded Jeremiah of his own childhood and his love for his father and mother even though their circumstances would have been worlds apart. It made him wonder though, what it must be like for the boy who was still sitting motionless beside him. Had he ever known such affection? The family around them made the sense of loneliness that radiated from him all the more pronounced.

"You have no idea how happy this makes me," Walls' wife exclaimed looking at Jeremiah with a big smile as he climbed down from the wagon.

"Likewise, ma'am," Jeremiah said. "I have been wondering what had become of you all."

Her eyes then wandered up to John who was still sitting up on the wagon. Uneasily, not knowing what to do or where to look, John was taking comfort from the fact that the dog was sitting beside him, as always happy to be stroked.

"Come on, Kid," Jeremiah called and then motioned for the boy to climb down. John obeyed, and so did the dog. The boy remained half hidden behind Jeremiah, eyes seemingly fixed on the ground while the dog jumped from child to child happily greeting them all. The adults stood in awkward silence for a few moments as Jeremiah did not really know how to introduce John. He had seen the boy's reaction in the camp and didn't want to embarrass him again. They were rescued by the rancher when Jeremiah turned to his horses wanting to help the children unhitch them from the wagon.

"Jeremiah please let my children look after your animals and come inside with us. They are in good hands. My children are well qualified to do this," Walls told him.