III

❝ I would disarm you before you could do anything stupid. ❞

❝ Don't test me because I would fucking love to see you try. ❞

•✧•

Valerie Sabini was like a magnet. Wherever she went, people gravitated towards her. She carried her petite frame so effortlessly that one was tempted to turn around and take another look. There was enough of a hint of green in her eyes to leave people wondering. They said that the most colourful animals were the most poisonous, and she outshone them all. The truth was, lies that fell from her beautiful lips were easier to sell.

Her hands corrected her sun-kissed hair one last time. With the help of her bejewelled pocket mirror, she scanned her appearance for any flaws. She had to be flawless if she didn't want to risk losing this business. And she had waited so long for an opportunity like this.

It wasn't like she hadn't tried before. But whenever she reached out to potential business partners, they had been hesitant, like Alfie. They feared that she was still working with her brother. It was difficult for them to distinguish business from personal. In their business, everything was entangled sooner or later. You were either in it completely or not at all. There was nothing in between.

There was something different about the Peaky Blinders. They brought a new dynamic to their on-going struggle for power. Thomas Shelby was in over his head, surely, but he was ready to risk it all. If she could use his devotion, she could finally achieve the long overdue change in power. Eventually, he would fall, but she couldn't care less as long as she could benefit from it.

As the car came to a stop in front of the tall building, she had finished reapplying her red lipstick. She entered the expensive restaurant. Her long hair was hidden in an up-do, revealing more of her memorable face than usual. As she turned and her eyes wandered over the crowd, the blush sequins on her dress sparkled like the chandelier above her head.

"Valerie Sabini. I'm meeting with Thomas Shelby", she explained to the waiter. The young man nodded and wordlessly led her up the stairs. The tables on the balcony were more private. Although Valerie hadn't been to the establishment before, she noticed a few familiar faces. Apparently, it was a favorite of law enforcement and politicians. The irony made her smirk.

As she saw the Shelby at the table, he got up from his seat. He waited for her to sit down to push her chair towards the table and sit down himself. For somebody with his background, he was unusually mannered if he wanted to be.

"You've chosen quite the establishment, Mister Shelby", Valerie commented. She removed the tippet from her shoulders. The white fur was soft. Her eyes wandered over the people underneath them. "Though I have to confess, I didn't expect your call so soon. You were very sure that I would come, weren't you?"

It was the truth. After all the turmoil, she had gone up to Glasgow for a few days. She had visited a possible addition for her hotel chain. Though the boys were busy chasing each other's tail, she wanted to make sure that there actually was a business worth protecting.

"They always come", he responded, looking down on his menu.

"You seem awfully sure of yourself."

"Considering that you pointed a gun at me and me brothers at our first meeting, I was certain you wouldn't miss the chance to finish what you've started."

Chuckling, Valerie reached into her purse and put a cigarette between her lips. Before she could search for her lighter, Thomas leaned forward and lit a match, using the flame to light her cigarette. Observant as ever. She gazed up at him through her eyelashes as she took a deep drag. While she leaned back again, he lit himself a cigarette as well.