V

❝ Was that an attack, Miss Sabini? ❞

❝ Certainly not. I wouldn't dare.

•✧•

"So, why would 'ya want to betray your brother?"

Valerie turned her head to look at Thomas. When she first got on the horse, every muscle in her body tensed. One distraction would be enough to make her fall. But she didn't say anything. She didn't make a sound. She only bit her red lip, praying that her resolve was stronger than her fear.

Thankfully, Thomas wasn't a big talker. Perhaps he didn't even notice the silence as they rode along the river. Besides, she wouldn't have heard him over her pounding heart. All her body wanted to do was flee, run as far away as her shaky legs could carry her. But she couldn't say a word.

"I already told you. It's for the best."

The question seemed to haunt him. She couldn't explain why else he would ask it over and over again. As if she would change her answer. As if she would slip up. As if the more time they spent together, the more she would trust him.

She wouldn't. Though she put on a brave face, her darling smile hid the ugly truth. She knew that they were no more than enemies, ready to attack as soon as they smelled blood. Valerie would drown herself in her sweet perfume before anybody could.

"'Ya said that 'ya want power", he corrected her patiently. Without any distracting sounds, his Brummie accent sounded even thicker. "And 'ya want to protect your family? But your brother is part of your family, eh?"

Valerie took a deep breath in. The movement of the horse made her nauseous. "Sometimes you have to protect people from themselves."

"Mhm."

"Listen, Mister Shelby." She sighed. "I was born into this kind of life. You chose this life. Perhaps it was a wise decision, perhaps not. But it's something you cannot take back. And this life... it consumes you. For all I care, you three boys can fucking bash each other's heads in. But it's not you who will suffer the consequences—it's those that are innocent. "

Thomas glanced over at her. "It sounds like you're speaking from experience."

"I left for the war. My sister... She met someone. She wrote me letters filled with such happiness, begging me to come home in time for the wedding."

"There never was a wedding."

It wasn't a question. She wondered if there was anything Thomas Shelby didn't know about her family. It was only fleeting, though, as she remembered all the ammunition he would hold in his hands if he did know everything.

"He promised her the world and she fell for it. All he gave her was a fucking pregnancy out of wedlock. They viewed Rose as a vulnerability and fucking used her in the most repulsive way. She was in love with him and he was nothing but a spy for Alfie." Valerie cleared her throat to mask the pain in her eyes. "So trust me when I tell you, I know. It's always easy to talk about separating personal affairs and business. The reality is different when your family is your business."

"I'm sorry," he replied. It sounded sincere.

Valerie gave him a thankful smile. If he only knew. If only anybody knew the truth. "It's not me you have to feel sorry for. I'm just warning you."

"Why?"

The Italian shrugged. "Because I'm a good person. Or because I don't want the Peaky Blinders in London. Or for other reasons altogether. Who knows?"

Before Thomas had the chance to answer, the wind picked up. More and more clouds were pushing themselves in front of the sun.

There was a crack. Valerie couldn't even tell what it was. Perhaps it was a branch breaking, perhaps a stone rolling into the river. It startled her as much as it did Thomas' horse.