Chapter 1

"Can you believe this guy?"

Jesse flinched at the slam of a green and white binder hitting his table. Rob Jetten was looking at him, his disbelief about that speech given in the Kamer right before lunch physically graspable in the air. "I know, I know. I was there!", Jesse sighed, shoveling some fries into his mouth. "No, Jesse, really. I am serious. I mean can you believe this guy? How can someone get up there. and just say THAT." Without replying Jesse picked up his suit jacket and moved it in order to make room for his friend Rob, who was still utterly fuming. At last Rob took a seat at the cafeteria table. Jesse did not even have to offer it, Rob had already stolen a fry from Jesse's tray. Rob knew that Jesse would never complain, he had done this since they became friends back in uni.

By this point, they had fallen, rather comfortably, into this routine of going to the Kamer, having lunch together, joking around, gossiping and complaining about coworkers. Jesse was glad to share his time in Dutch politics with Rob. He was of the strong belief that it was actually perfect to have a friend in the House of Representatives, especially one across party lines. However, he had to admit that was not something he had always thought. For the longest time politics had not seemed like a team sport to him even when fighting together with his party. During a debate or when running against an opponent it was him on his own with only his words to fend for himself. It was about being one step ahead of the opposition to get the better deal by outsmarting the other. Well, not so much anymore. Somewhere along the line he had learned to value a good compromise. The power of friendship, if you will. "Can you believe I actually used to complain about your constant fry robbery?", Jesse laughed. Rob smiled. "Gosh, yeah... That was so long ago." He chuckled. "And yet here you are, Rob, still stuck with me.", Jesse grinned. "Hey. Who else would let me steal his fries?"

Actually, when the two of them first met back in uni, Jesse did not think he and Rob would get along. Both of them had been active in the political scene at their university so they were vaguely aware of each others existance before they became friends.

Jesse remembers stamping Rob as one of those guys in his head. Arrogant, young, high achiever, perfectionist. Annoying. One of those guys. Tailor fitted suit, bright, shiny teeth. Rob fit the bill. Someone, who joins a debate club just because it looks good on a resume. On the straight track to becoming a first class politician, without any sense of what real life is actually like outside of his prestigious college. So simply put, they probably just would not get along very well, he had thought. 
Even back then Rob always walked around with a full binder of notes, seemingly always ready to produce the necessary piece of data or a report he was referencing at any time. The only difference being that he was not yet sporting a D66 coloured binder back then. Instead he matched his binders with his outfits, a quality Jesse at first found utterly pretentious and only much later admitted to finding rather endearing.

One day, Jesse was staffing a DWARS booth they had erected in front of the PoliSci building. He was handing out flyers, when Rob stopped by. Jesse gave him the pitch. Rob, to his surprise, listened closely. "Hey, I know you from student council, right?", Rob asked after they had talked for a bit. Jesse nodded yes. "I am Jesse." He taped his name tag. "I head DWARS. We are currently running GroenCampus. We are campaigning for-" Rob chimed in: "A sustainable campus! Yes, I know who you are!" He smiled: "Hi, I am Rob. Rob Jetten. You guys have some good posters. Our own PR team really needs to get into gear...". Jesse had the creeping sense that this was someone he should propably regognize. Unfortunately, for the life of him Jesse could not recall why he seemed so familiar. Maybe some polite non-committal stammering would lead to more information, helping to jog his memory."I am so sorry", Jesse said, "I can't seem to recall how we know each other. You're studying public administration, right?", Jesse inquired. Rob nodded, provoking more questions from Jesse, who still could not remember what Rob did for the student council. "And you're friends with Maria? What organization are you part of again?", Jesse asked further. At that question Rob grinned ever so faintly."I am the current president of the young democrats.", he admitted, "I don't think we have been properly introduced. Nice to meet you, Jesse Klaver." Rob smiled and reached out his hand. How mustered the confidence to speak to Jesse, his rival, so calmly was beyond Jesse. For a second the head of the DWARS was quite speechless. "Wow! So you are the enemy!", he laughed shaking Rob's hand. Rob chuckled at that. "I guess so. But we're not so different you and I. We probably have more in common than you think." Rob winked at him and then smiled. "I am sorry I did not recognize you, Rob.", apologized Jesse but Rob just shook his head. "No worries. You got the public administration part right, which is very impressive. And I also did not recognize you. only after you introduced yourself.", Rob reassured him. "Oh so I am being led to believe you did not come here to stake out the opposition?", Jesse joked. Rob shook his head. "No. This is not a sneak attack. I was actually genuinely interested. Climate change is so important, I think we should pay attention to everything we can do to help. That's actually why I stopped by.", explained Rob, an answer which pleased Jesse. "So now that I have been assured, you're not a spy, I better tell you more about our projects!", he suggested. Rob listened with refreshing interest. 
The two had one of those conversations that reminded Jesse why he loved politics. Civil conversations between people with different ideologies, about difficult subjects, all for the goal of creating real change in the world. The idealists ideal. Oh, how he loved it.
They were interrupted when Rob's digital watch beeped. "Ah shit.", he murmured. He pressed a button to stop his alarm. "You'll have to excuse me, I am afraid. I have a lecture now. Thanks for the flyer. And the conversation. Really." He waved a little.

Just when he was about to turn around and walk away Jesse caught himself placing an arm on Rob's shoulder. "Hey... Rob... It was great talking to you... Stop by again some time?", Jesse asked his voice softer than he had intended. Rob paused. Then he nodded. Rob slipped his business card into Jesse's breast pocket. Then he turned around and walked towards the building.

When Jesse looked up, Kayla, his team college, was smirking at him. "Done flirting?", she mocked. "Shut up. I wasn't flirting." But Kayla just continued smirking. "Whatever you say, boss."