Chapter 13: Redheaded witch

Everything after that was a blur. I had dropped to the floor crying, and the next thing I could recognize was being picked up by someone.

My face buried in their neck, I could feel the long strands of hair tickling my face. He smelled like that dratted expensive cologne he bought behind Mother's back. Walburga's. I suppose she isn't my mother anymore. Never was really.

I woke up the next morning in a red and gold dorm that definitely wasn't mine. Thank goodness I knew how to iron out the creases in my clothes. And that I was still wearing my uniform.

All of the boys were still asleep. A quick glance revealed Sirius hogging Potters pillow. If I was in his area then...yes! I found his hairbrush. Good quality, casting a quick cleaning spell, I made my way to the bathroom.

Good Godric I was a mess.

Yesterday's half bun had more or less fallen out. My eyeliner was basically gone, eyes left red and puffy. Uniform beyond creased, cheeks a hideous red, I didn't even know where to begin.

Sighing, I undid my hair first and began brushing it out. I didn't feel like doing anything complicated, and braided it all. Using my wand to curl the ends I then started pressing out my uniform.

I didn't know how to fix my face. The boys likely didn't have any makeup besides maybe eyeliner. Running some cold water I splashed my face, trying to get the puffiness and color down. It was unfortunate, but I used the hand towel to dry my face. I hope the house elves had switched it out recently.

It hadn't helped much, but without a cool face mask or ice, there wasn't much I could do. I still felt miserable. Thank goodness for Saturdays because there was no way I'd be making it to any classes if I'd had some.

I was fully prepared to just sit on Sirius' bed for the rest of the day, but knew Veronica would lose her mind. The problem now was how I'd leave.

Regrettably, I didn't know any spells to make me invisible, nor did I trust any of the buffoons around me to cast a spell on me. I'd wake someone up, but I'd really only interacted with Sirius and James, neither of which I felt comfortable waking up.

I nearly jumped in fright when a boy I didn't recognize popped out of the fifth bed. As it was, I'm sure I let out a squeak.

"Sorry, sorry. I didn't think anyone would be up." He was tall, taller than James with curly black hair and skin that reminded me of milk chocolate. He stuck out his hand, "Kingsley, Kingsley Shackbolt."

I took it, still slightly dazed. "Aquila Black."

A look of understanding seemed to light in his brown eyes. They were gorgeous, and seemed to have threads of amber and gold in his iris's that literally glowed. "You're his sister?" He nodded to where Sirius was spooning the pillow he'd stolen from James.

I wrinkled my nose. Not the most flattering picture. "Unfortunately."

His laugh caused the others to stir. James even sat up, blinking blearily at the two of us. His hair was crazier than normal, and he didn't seem to be able to make out anything clearly without his glasses.

As soon as he had them on, he shoved Sirius off the bed and reclaimed his pillow. Sirius let out a startled yelp as he hit the floor. I couldn't help but let out a giggle, Kingsley chuckling beside me.

Sirius' head popped up, scowling at James, his glare turning into an awkward smile when he saw me. "Shackbolt. Little bird. Morning."

I made a face at the old nickname. "Really Siri? Here?"

He rubbed the back of his head while Kingsley went to the bathroom and James got to work waking up the other two. "Well Veronica couldn't carry you all the way to your dorm, you're taller than she is. I figured you didn't want to go to the Hospital Wing, and so.."