CHAPTER ONE

Please read "ETHEREAL" before this novel...

"Hold me and love me
Just wanna touch you for a minute
Maybe three seconds is enough for my heart to quit it

Let's have some fun, this beat is sick

I wanna take a ride on your disco stick!"

"What is this? Lady GaGa? Disco stick?" I can't even get the words out without laughing.

"Omg, don't make fun, Damien... Lady GaGa is epically talented. What have you written?!" Skye smiles and her slow, syrupy and strange voice sarcastically twists around the words. Why does she sound like Katy Perry, but more hoarse, smokier - like she sucks on cigarettes all day.

"Why is your voice like that? Do you smoke?"

"Nooo..." She always drawls out her words. She smiles at me and all of her teeth are showing. She laughs and it pleases me... it makes me happy? I feel happier with her.

She parks her Dad's gunmetal silver Camry in the Nordstrom parking garage, and flips down the mirror to fix her lipgloss and she shakes out all of the layers of her brown hair; fixing her bangs to lie all piece-y-like across her forehead, like she's always doing.

I smooth my hands on the knees of my skinny jeans and take out my phone. "Why are we parking here? Didn't you want to go to Macy's?"

"I don't park there," her words sound garbled as she gobs more of that pale pink lipgloss all over her lips. I wish she wouldn't put it on. I want to kiss her but not with all of that glossy, sticky and shiny shit on her lips.

"What do you mean, you don't park there?"

"I don't park there. Are you ready to go?" She's already halfway out of the car.

"Um, I guess..." She closes the door before I finish.