Chapter 1 (PART 1)

Nikolaos & Pythagoras
Chapter 1

You've probably never heard of me. That is fine, given the circumstances. My name is Nikolaos. I'm the grandson of a very eccentric and knowledge-obsessed man whose been aging slower than any man who has ever been known, Pythagoras. I am aware of what made him this way, yes. But no one else is. And so, I believe I shouldn't say of it, lest it gets spread. We live on the fair plains of Gréce(1), away from society, but still close by, existing. Many do not fail to know of us, but do not quite succeed either.. You'll know in a bit. We're quite the two, living in a rickety-old home, bound to collapse if the Earf(2) just decided to slightly ever so shake. Luckily, it's supported by an old wooden block, just enough to keep it up. Well, all we use this old place for is to sleep, to live in slightest comfort, and to cook our own food, so it doesn't have to be all fancy and properly-built like the city men and women. We're better off here anyway, less disturbance, and not so loud. The town of Athen(3)'s fancy rich homes are made of advanced (as far as we go) concrete, but not ours, at the very least. We occasionally go inside there, whether I like it or not, so I don't think I have a say. I have gotten a little used to it, too. Well, by we, I mean not only me and my grandfather Pythagoras. We have two horses, one for me, one for him. Two Messara(4) horses, a mare, one as dark as a stormcloud on unlucky days, named Stormrider, belonging to me. Other, a stallion, brown and bay-colored, we're not sure, my grandfather named him Atlas, after one of the titans. Quite the mythologist, I must say. And, yes, since he named him, he's my grandfather's.

You need not worry - we take care of those two quite well. Well, quite well for people who aren't sophisticated - specifically, us two. We are content with this, in fact. And so, with my narration out of the way, so continued shall the story be. Here I am, laying in a bed of barely properly-stacked hay and sheep's wool supported by just a few wooden blocks crafted and hammered with care. My little carefree rest, no matter how temporary I knew it was, was interrupted. The clanking of planks against leather materials, I heard much so. Was that my grandfather? Well, it has to be - our doors don't have locks, so he can rush in and out as he pleased. I heard a shout, "Nikolaos, get that thick bum of yours out yer' room and come here!" and so I did. "Grandfather, if you'd let me ask - what has got you in such a mood this day?" I asked.

"It's the noise, that is what! So many talk's out there in town, Athen is more buzzing than the usual everyday market and lives of the cityfolk," He screamed, throwing his cap onto the table, but keeping tight grip of the staff - I understood why. "and what is worse - so many rumors floating around I wouldn't bother! They're as boring as a Messara who refuses to do anything!" I winced. A Messara horse not doing anything.. I'd be very bored, just as bored as the boringness of that horse. Our horses are lively, though, so such worry is not a need. So I spoke up, "That is concerning on itself, but grandfather, didn't you bother to see why?" and he gruffly replied, with his glowing - literally, and ever-wise eyes staring at me for a good bit, "No, Nikolaos. I have not, and I do not bother to do such." I sighed, showing defeat. "Fair enough."

He nodded at me, as if to say I could go. And so I did, grabbing one cracker from the open bowl, then promptly leaving. I went up towards the door leading to my room - but I decided, no. I turned around the other way, going towards the exit. "I'll be going for a bit, grandfather." "Sure, sure, grandson. Be well- You know very well the dangers." "Of course I do. You taught me." So I set out, with naught but a single cracker that is bound to expire in a day or more. But just before I shut the door, I heard so much as this. "Don't chat with the cityfolk of Athen now, kid!" I nodded slightly, not that he would see it, obviously, and ran off. Of course, I did exactly the opposite - go into the city he very much said to not. No, I'm not a troublemaker, nor a rule-breaker. I'm just a little adventurous, is that the word? Well, I hope it is. I'd hate to be seen as a knowledgeable kid who is as is, despite not knowing the right words for specific description. Trust me, it's terrible to be seen as so. Like, really terrible. It's not that common in my family's bloodline, but there are plentiful records in our history regarding it - almost enough to fill 1/4th of a library. I bit on the cracker I brought with me, and swallowed it whole. What? I do this all the time, no matter how odd it is to not chew on your food. Wait. Why did grandfather even call me down anyway, if he had nothing to say except how bad he felt? It's probably not important, anyway.

I walked along the path (or well, ran), clearing my thoughts along the way. I saw the city just a few walks' worth away, but also saw the stables where our horses, Stormrider and Atlas, were stationed. I changed my direction and went towards the stables. Walking up to Stormrider, she snickered and I gave her a pat on the head, and maybe a little hay, but not too much. I bid the horses adieu (for now, I have a feeling I'll need to come back later) and went back to my original path - towards the city. It was getting easier to see as I got closer. And.. much louder? Yikes, I bet I'm in for quite the ride. As I descended closer, my eardrums were practically exploding. Or well, maybe not really exploding - just me being unused to this sort of noise. It's really quiet where me and grandfather live, after all, so that is to be expected. Atleast, I hope it is. It was really loud, just like how grandfather said it was. I eventually went to the city's gates and entered through. Honestly, I'm surprised they let me, an actual child, just come in without any accompanying adult or more-mature-and-older person (like a teenager of sorts). Athen really has changed, huh? Or well, they could have also practically ignored me.

Since I have arrived here - I might as well try to listen in on the rumors my grandfather mentioned. He didn't even bother to listen to the rumors, so maybe I should listen in and gather some information in his stead. You never know if they'll be helpful to our lives or not, really. I walked towards one of the many alleyways in the city or town, and hid in there. I pressed my body against the walls and shoved my ears closer to one of the many ongoing conversations. ".. did you hear.. the mountain of.." I heard. Oh? Mountain of what? I tried to get closer and closer. "Oh? The so-called isolated mountain of ... and bone? Yes, I've heard, Arxtu. It's quite the myth, apparently."

Huh, so one of the mens names is Arxtu.. who is the other one? "Ruxtell .. the mountain of skin and bone is said to .... many a fine treasures!" Treasure? Oh, how exciting.. my grandfather would be interested in this.. I probably shouldn't tell him yet, until I have more information, mostly on how to get there. I should probably continue to listen in on these Ruxtell and Arxtu's conversations. Oh, but what if I get caught.. alleyways aren't always a good place to stay hidden. Well, what would they even do about it? And uh, I am always the one to risk things - my grandfather has been told by many people, that is.. if they have heard of me and seen me in personal. Okay.. I got this. I know what to do, maybe, uh, hide behind a barrel. Alright. As I went to go behind the barrel, I have gotten closer to the two - Ruxtell and Arxtu - and now could hear more bits of their conversation. "But Arxtu, the way there is supposedly dangerous, we can't go running there!" I heard, and feared it. "Rux," Arxtu started, I think that's his nickname for Ruxtell, "it's not that dangerous. Maybe a couple dragons, but not too dangerous." DRAGONS? Oh no. If me and grandfather try to attempt, it will be difficult. Still, I continued to listen in. "Arx - there are dragons, AND lack of food and water! We can't go there if we're planning to stay long and find the treasure! The dragons could be hostile as well, no doubt!" At that, I realized they wouldn't talk of how to get in. I went away from their conversation site, and ran, searching for more people that are having conversations. I need to know how to get this treasure, if not to be famous, then to atleast fix our broken and shattered house. Hey, don't ask me how I just got suddenly bored of our home structure now! What else would I use the treasure for (if we ever found it in the future)!?

Anyway, I went off, and found a new conversation. "Helis, calm yourself. We can't go out there to this supposed myth, the dragons there are dangerous. Don't you think the names Goldskin dragon(5) and Shadowbones(6) sound terrifying? The first probably has armor made of pure, solid gold and the second ones probably are as dark as the night which makes it more terrifying when it's dark out!" Ah. Okay, Goldskin dragons and Shadowbones. I have to remember that. No need to remember their names. Helis and someone else. "But Krefus, we need that treasure! Look at us! We're poor, old men! We just have to follow the river, all the way, for many days - no matter how long it takes us. And then we'll reach this supposed isolated mountain of skin and bone. Huh, the dragons may be named after the mountain's namesake. Anyway, we just have to follow the river until we see one huge mountain, a couple caves, and a few smaller hills. And maybe a couple dragons." Alright, this Helis and Krefus are.. old men? They don't sound like it, to be honest. Oh well. I peeked my head out and WOW, they really DO look old. Pretty sure they'd die before even reaching halfway to the destination of this Isolated Mountain of Skin and Bone.. hey, it must be the name of this myth they keep talking about. Now, I'm sure NOBODY, and I mean NOBODY, would be talking about how to defend themselves from the two dragon species (Goldskin dragons and the Shadowbones, if you've forgotten), so I hurriedly went for the exit of the town. Maybe it's a city. I don't know.