Chapter 1 (PART 4)

Ah, good morning, world! What a nice.. oh, right. Yesterday's problems. Huh. Sometimes my sleep method works so well, both during the current night and the next morning, that I forget the supposed problem at hand for a few seconds. It was quite silent for the next few minutes, which I enjoyed a lot, until I heard my grandfather's booming voice. "Nikolaos!! You took a whole day to come back 'ome, and you didn't b'ther a bit to wake me!" Ah.. there it is. Perhaps I can't really explain why yet. I got out of my room, and walked straight to the living area, where he stands with a tight grip on his staff. "I.. wasn't really doing anything of terrible reasoning, grandfather." I hesitantly spoke as to experimentally poke a reaction out of him. I don't even know why I do this kind of thing, I just do it sometimes. "Said you'd be gone for just'a bit, then you disappear for ta' whole day. Seriously?" Ah. He's totally worried about me. Well, at first, I didn't know I'd take quite the time. Embarrassing. "You weren't tryna interact with the local folk now, were ye?" Grandfather Pythagoras spoke after a while. I nervously broke eye contact with him, turned my head to the right just a bit, and opted to stare at the suddenly interesting yet severely damaged wall. It took me a while to garner a response, but I started speaking. "I was not doing anything of the sort-"

Sadly, I was then interrupted. By him, no less. "I know ye, boy. Yer' tone of voice says you did." Know me? I guess he does, he's the only person I've known for.. a long time. The question is if whether or not he is mad or upset. It's always been hard to tell. He stared at me intensely - I could feel it. I looked back at my grandfather, however, and then I watched his expression and body language. His hand's grip on his staff has been increasing in strength and intensity day by day, which I've grown concerned over in silence, however I assume I shouldn't be worrying about it right now. He looks rather relaxed aside from his grip on his eagle-headed staff, so perhaps the situation isn't that bad.. for now, at least. Heh, I didn't know I'd be using my knowledge to see how he feels. It's awfully hard to do so, though. Perhaps I will just resort to this. "Are you mad?" I asked, straight to the point. His movement is slow. "No, not really, boy. You're just like the son I once had in my arms." That was rather sentimental of him. Well, either way, I guess I shouldn't be gone for too long next time? I looked back at the door that lead to my room, and I thought for a while. I'm a little hungry, but that croissant shouldn't be eaten right now. "Say, grandfather, while I was in the city of Athen, I heard quite the rumors while passing through.." I started. He seemed disinterested, but maybe that's just his age getting to him today. "Go on, you." He spoke after a few seconds. "Well, for one, there's this supposedly hidden mountain with two kinds of dragons. Apparently, there may be treasure and knowledge to be found." I may have twisted the words a little bit, but only about the knowledge gaining part. After all, it's sure to pique his interest after that. Anyway, I'm not done telling him just yet. I'll continue with some sweetened words really quickly. "We could even recover from our poorness while learning more knowledge there." Okay, I've ran out of words to say.. unfortunate.

He used his free hand to stroke his beard and look upwards while doing that. I've learned that it's one of his odd thinking poses. "We will set out tomorrow, if yer' words be true." Tomorrow, huh? Though, I suppose that was a great achievement - to get him to agree to it at all. Certainly a rare sight for me. But, if it is not today, what shall I do this noon, afternoon, evening and night? Well, I suppose I'd be sleeping at night time. That's guaranteed. Definitely early, though, so maybe around evening. Actually, I don't even know what time it is, it could even be just before lunchtime right now as I usually do not wake up as early as the time of sunrise. "I suppose we'll be very busy today if that's so?" I then proceeded to poke a question at my grandfather. I mean, with all that smartness in him, surely he thinks he should get the necessary equipment and other stuff for our.. outing. We certainly don't want to die out there. "Perhaps." That's.. the answer I get? Better than nothing, I suppose. It is coming from him, after all, and he isn't regular in the slightest. Man, I sure am tired after all this talk. However, I can't just rest immediately after waking up. I mean, it's been a while since earlier, but my point still stands and it is still valid. "I'll be going out to Athen by m'self. Don't do anythin' bad now, ye hear." He eventually announced, and all I gave as a response was an unsure yet firm nod. Honestly, despite knowing him my whole life, his way of speech is admittedly a little too old for this current age. Then again, the staff that he holds.. ah, nevermind that. I watched him leave the house with nothing but his usual clothing, his cap, and his eagle-headed staff. Perhaps I should just sit for a while, at the table. So, I certainly sat down. I wonder what I should do today.. maybe pay the horses a little visit? They haven't been fed, I reckon.

It's been a few minutes since my grandfather left the house. Perhaps I can go to the stables. I carefully stood up from the old chair, whilst holding back my own hands - I know the crackers in the bowl may have already expired, and yet I can still see myself grabbing at them. Either way, I made my way to the door and left the house. I started walking down the path, certainly not in a rush, however I am not aware of how long grandfather will be gone. Perhaps only an hour or two. I shouldn't dwell on that for now. The stables isn't too far away.