14• Creaking Hallways

🥀(Not edited yet, lots of errors probably just a heads up

🥀
(Not edited yet, lots of errors probably just a heads up. I've been super busy and barely got this out.)

•Rue•

I've never had the unfortunate experience of welcoming someone into my home that didn't end miserably for the guest. They were welcomed with ill intent lingering in the shadows, not as a frivolous experience to be shared between friends. The guests were always someone's prey. I was always the bait, the creature sent out to reassure them. My poor social skills aside, I have always been too slight a girl to inspire lasting terror.

My rebirth though changed the way we did things. On some primal level, those guests felt fear in my presence despite my unassuming form. They knew deep down that I was a monster lying in wait, poised so prettily to strike. Underneath the lace and frills rested a gluttonous demon thirsting for their blood. The game became more pleasurable for the O'Day household when they gave chase.

This is a far cry from the experience I'm having now. Standing in front of the black creaking door to our home, staring at it as if it'll tell me how to proceed, I blink dumbly at it and wait for further instruction. I've never had to entertain company before, not any that didn't end in bloodshed and torment. Perhaps long before things became sullied and coated in murk, before everything warped into a nightmare, there'd been guests who left our manor untouched. But this would of had to have been long, long ago, before my memories fully stuck.

"Uh, are we gonna go in, or?"
I blink, snapping out of my thoughts, and peer over my shoulder at him. Gabriel stares back, blinking down at me in confusion. I have to make myself remember that I'm no longer the greatest predator here. These aren't mortals being ensnared by my family. These are Cadavers, more powerful and dangerous than even I.

Hop, hop, down the lane,
Does the rabbit go.
Flop, flop, goes its ears,
As it drinks the blood that flows.

"I'm not sure how to proceed," I admit, cheeks warming slightly. His lips tug up in the corners, fighting a smile. His eyes dance with humor despite his attempts however. He puts one fist on his hip and raises a brow at me. The other three stand back and watch us. " What do you mean?" He chuckles out.