Back

~ 🔙 ~

Someone was there. And it wasn't just him and Chirr.

He chirped to Chirr to alert her. She hopped towards him.
"No-one." She chirped.
"Walk." She then chirped - claiming if they walked - if someone was there, they'd probably leave, not wanting to run into them if they had left so quickly when Tuk checked.

Tuk was hesitant but agreed Chirr probably had a point. Tuk and Chirr hopped across the clearing.

Although flying was faster, Tuk wasn't really in a hurry. He enjoyed travelling with Chirr. Chirr was probably smarter and knew more things then him - but he didn't care about knowing less. He was happy to have Chirr as a friend. He was pretty sure Chirr was happy as well.

He'd much rather travel with Chirr then that other Robin and the snake. Although the larger the group, the safer he'd be, he didn't want to travel without
Chirr. He'd come so far.

If he had met Winnifred and Axel before Chirr, would he feel the same way? He didn't know, maybe it was just time - but there was something about Chirr that made him closer to her then to Winnifred or Axel. Winnifred described him as just some sort of a story character that was all about her - While Chirr cared about him as a living bird. He decided he'd probably choose Chirr over Winnifred and Axel anyways.

The two of them kept hopping across the ground when he heard the sound of what sounded like wind rustling a bush, he continued down the path. Chirr behind him, since she was slower.

He then realized there was no gust of wind anywhere nearby - and realized that someone was imitating the sound.
"HEY!" Tuk chirped aloud - What happened next was all so quick.

A brown flash lunged towards Chirr, opening its mouth and sinking its teeth into Chirr's wing for a few seconds before un-attaching and coming into view.

Axel.
Tuk knew they couldn't be trusted - He hopped towards Chirr when a new shape emerged from the bushes. He wasn't surprised by who it was, it was a Robin. Winnifred.

"You..!" Tuk chirped, stepping closer to Chirr, who had a large bite mark on her wing - Tuk didn't care if it was contagious or anything, he just wanted to protect Chirr from Winnifred and Axel.
"Yes-Us. Say-Hi." Winnifred chirped.
"Hello..." Axel hissed in robin.

Chirr's expression changed, she opened her beak and kept it open, gasping for air.
"Axel. Venomous." Winnifred chirped causally, as if it didn't matter at all - as if Chirr wasn't in danger at all.
"What?!" Tuk exclaimed, looking over at Chirr.
"Sorry..." Chirr managed to gasp before collapsing on the ground, she was still alive.
"No.." Tuk chirped quietly.

"Now-Chirr's. Away. Travel-Us?" Winnifred asked - her Robin was getting slightly better but not by much. It's not like he was paying attention either.

Tuk was surprised - She comes in and uses her best friend snake to bite Chirr... and now she was expecting Tuk to join her on a travel. Tuk was too shocked to speak. he glanced over at Chirr again, he could tell she was trying her best to stay alive.

He had a feeling Chirr would live - it wasn't a strong feeling but it was still a feeling.
"Well?" Axel asked in Robin, wanting to know his answer.
"No." Tuk chirped quietly.
"Was-That, Yes?" Winnifred asked, hopping forward. She clearly couldn't hear him.
"No." He said louder.
"Can't-Hear." Winnifred chirped.
"NEVER!" He exclaimed.

Winnifred hopped back surprised, Axel slithered forward with a hiss - wanting to bite him too.
"Axel. No." Winnifred chirped.
"You'll-Regret. It." Winnifred chirped. Stepping forward towards Tuk - he stepped back.

Tuk glanced at Chirr again.
"Please.." he muttered before realizing that Chirr was completely still.

Tuk paused a moment - unable to speak. He couldn't believe it... he didn't know what to do. He paused longer. Soon he made a decision

Tuk exploded in anger.
"MURDERER!" He exclaimed - flying towards Winnifred and sinking his talons into her back. He pecked at her head, taking off a few feathers.

Axel slithered forward and knocked Tuk away from Winnifred with his tail. Axel slithered towards
"Dare. You!" Axel announced in robin.
"Dare. I?" Tuk responded.
"DARE. YOU!" Tuk exclaimed before pecking at Axel's scales.

Revenge was an emotion spread across Birds, he had never felt it. Not until now.

Axel opened his mouth, about to bite Tuk when Winnifred spoke.
"No. His-Decision. Let-Him. Regret."
Axel slithered away from him and next to Winnifred, looking annoyed.
"Leave." He chirped to the two of them.
Winnifred looked towards Axel, not wanting to move away just yet.
"LEAVE!" He chirped louder, stepping towards them.

Axel began to slither and Winnifred followed close behind - Tuk watched closely. Making sure they actually left this time. He watched as the two of them entered one of the hedges.

They were far enough away now. He never should have agreed to walk. He was now regretting his decision. He was still full of revenge - wanting to go through the hedge and wanting to peck them until they apologized. He wanted to peck them until they were so afraid they wished they had never wanted to leave that cage.

But something stopped him. That wasn't what Chirr would have wanted.

Chirr.
Chirr.
He had been so angry at the moment - he barely let the fact sink in.

Chirr and him would never create flock together. Chirr would never tell stories to young robins with him. Chirr would never complete the journey they decided to travel in the first place for.
Chirr would never be able to collect berries in the new home, or get to name baby robins of their own.
Chirr wouldn't be able to see Tuk for a long time.
Chirr wouldn't choose the tree they'd live in.
Chirr wouldn't be able to name the flock what she wanted.
Chirr wasn't here any longer.
Chirr was gone.

Chirr was dead.

~ 🔙 ~