Yelenas Vs. Sickness

Little Lena had been crying for the last hour or so and she did not know what to do, because the little girl would not tell her what was wrong exactly.

She was getting really frustrated. She hated when that child cried, she could feel her heart aching painfully at the thought of something being wrong with her niece.

"Sweet girl, what's wrong?" she asked, brushing the kid's hair away from her face.

It was at that moment that she noticed the child's flushed cheeks, the beads of sweat on her forehead and how hot the little girl felt at her touch. Her niece was sick.

She panicked, not being prepared for that. They had been living together for less than a month and she did not know already what to do. In the Red Room being sick was considered as being weak and if you were not able to continue with the training, you would be killed. They would say that there was not time for them to be sick during the missions, that it could endanger everything they had worked for.

In her panic state she called Kate, hoping the girl would know what she should do, but she ended up taking her niece to the hospital.

She hated every minute there, how they ripped the child from her arms to check her up and how the little girl cried. She was forced to sit next to the stretcher and hold her niece's little hand in hers when the doctors pricked her tiny arm.

Honestly, it was being such a horrifying experience and she was afraid that the child would be traumatized by it. And the worst part was that she felt so guilty about everything the kid might be feeling.

It was two hours later that they were finally going back home, being a little bit more relaxed at that moment since she knew that her niece had the flu and they had told her how to act. But she could not avoid feeling stupid for taking the child to the hospital only for that and she truly feared that they would have judged her for not being a good parent for that little girl.

"Hey, how is she?" Kate was waiting by the door of her apartment and she felt sorry for how long the girl might have been waiting for them to arrive.

"Apparently, it's the flu and she'll be alright" she answered. "Can you hold her?" she asked the girl so she could open the door.

Kate nodded, taking the child in her arms, who did not hesitate to bury her face in the young woman's neck, whimpering a little at the movement.

"I know, I'm sorry, sweetie" Kate whispered to the kid.

Little Lena fell asleep as soon as she was snuggled to Kate on the couch and she let her napped until the soup she was cooking was ready.

"Was it stupid to take...?" She could not finish her question, since the young girl interrupted her.

"No, no. You're new at parenting, it's okay to be scared when your child is sick" the young girl assured, but she could only frown. "I have a feeling that you're not used to sickness" Kate commented, gently caressing the kid's hair.

"No" she admitted in just a whisper. "In the Red Room if you were sick or injured, and couldn't continue with the training..., well you would be killed" she explained, observing how the girl's eyes widened with horror at the information.

"I'm so sorry to hear that" the young archer gulped, staring at her with pity in her eyes, so she waved a hand dismissively at her to let her know that it was okay.

However, the worst part was yet to come since getting the child to eat something, just to see how the little girl ended up throwing up, it was truly upsetting. And she could not avoid even feeling worse with herself, because she had insisted on the kid eating the food.