3. Wet! (Frank from Fantastic Beasts)

"Hi, big guy!" I grinned as I hopped up onto the platform where Frank was. I gently rubbed his head before sitting down and leaning against his wing. As I sighed, Frank turned his head to look at me. I began petting him gently.
   "Do you ever wonder if the world misses us?" I asked after a minute. Frank made a humming noise and I shrugged. "I mean, no one knows you exist and I talk to animals. But do you think the magic world misses your kind?" Frank just shifted slightly on the platform. "I would. Immensely. You're not allowed to die on me, Frank. I think you're beautiful and amazing!"
   Frank snorted and nudged my knee with his beak. I flopped onto my back on the platform and looked up at the magical sky. Frank got to his feet, though, and looked down at me for a minute. When I didn't move, he pushed off the platform and flew into the sky, leaving me alone.
   "Frank! You're supposed to keep me company!" I cried. He didn't answer, he just flew higher. That's when I realized what he was going to do. "FRANK! If you get me soaked, I'll-" A drop of water fell on my nose, cutting me off. Not a millisecond later, it began pouring and I was indeed soaked! I glared playfully up at the sky before laughing.
   "Frank, you rascal," I mumbled, getting to my feet. My hair hung limply in my face and I was starting to shiver. Suddenly, the rain stopped and Frank landed beside me.
   "Hello to you, too," I grinned at him. He made a sound that sounded like laughing and I gently shoved him. 
   "Beth?" Newt suddenly appeared next to the platform and I waved shyly at him. "Frank, what did you do?"
   Frank and I exchange a look.
   "He was just being... Frank," I told Newt.
   He shook his head with a small smile and walked away. Newt wasn't terribly chatty and he acted somewhat standoffish at times, but I still enjoyed his company. I watched the wizard disappear behind some trees before I turned to Frank.
   "See? You're going to get me in trouble! Or yourself in trouble! Both are bad!" I cried, hugging him. He made the laughing sound again and rubbed his head against mine. I jumped away. "Don't do that, you'll knot my hair!"
   This time, both Frank and Newt laughed, which surprised me. I hadn't seen him return! He handed me a towel and I began drying off the best I could. I'd have to change... again! It was a good thing I loved Frank!

(Published June 27, 2022)